4X4 Events and Weekend Outings Post Your Wheeling Pictures and Videos Here!

Far North Overland: New Hampshire to Alaska April 2015

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:20 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Talking Far North Overland: New Hampshire to Alaska April 2015

The event is official and anybody willing and interested in joining at any point is more than welcome to sign up on the events page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/4705...ilter=upcoming

Im still looking for someone to tag along in my truck to be a second driver and helping hand should my truck run into any problems. Pay for your own food and return home plane ticket. I wont ask for money but any donations in the form of used spare parts (alternator) or gas money would be appreciated. If you have photography expeirence than that wold be a big plus becasue I want to capture some footage and pictures in hopes of getting a article published for the Rovers North magazine - Not likely but a worthy goal. I plan on investing in a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition for this trip.

Im also trying to form a caravan of vehicles for the journey. I think this experience will be so much more enjoyable with a caravan of vehicles (preferably Rovers). Again you would be responsible for your own gas, food and return home etc but should anybody in the group break down or need any assistance Ill do what I can.

Unfortunately this overland experience will be mostly on paved roads though not to be underestimated as we will be traveling through the Yukon and British Columbia territories, followed then by the Alaska Highway system in early to mid April so most all the snow and ice will still be on the mountains and the roads still dangerous. Plan to see tons of wildlife on the road and plan on temperatures well below zero at times. Good tires, good battery and alternator and some form of bright off road driving lights are highly recommended on any vehicle you might bring.

Im starting my trip in my home state of New Hampshire and I think most of you probably live more out west so Im happy to meet up with you part way. Ill be traveling through the northern most states until around Montana then cross over into the Canadian border and make my way north-west towards Alaska. I hope to do the trip in 2 weeks or less.

If interested respond to this thread, or send me a pm or join the above linked event page. Thanks all

Julian

Old 11-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I did a similar trip in March of this year. Went up on a ferry from Bellingham, WA to Skagway, AK. Drove to the Yukon Territory; stayed three nights, drove home. Only a 1700 mile trek back, so not quite what you're dealing with. Possibly in worse weather....April should be pretty decent.

Anyway, feel free to PM me with questions if you'd like.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 06:07 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I did a similar trip in March of this year. Went up on a ferry from Bellingham, WA to Skagway, AK. Drove to the Yukon Territory; stayed three nights, drove home. Only a 1700 mile trek back, so not quite what you're dealing with. Possibly in worse weather....April should be pretty decent.

Anyway, feel free to PM me with questions if you'd like.

Thank you! I may have to take you up on the offer sometime, i could always benefit from more advice from anybody who has traveled this route. You probably would not be interested in doing it again would you? Im still looking for people to come along.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Oh I'm not up for doing it again....at least not so soon. It was tough being away from my wife and kids that long. Sounds like you are doing the right things in terms of vehicle prep. I wound up installing a block heater on my LR3. I'm not sure if your D2 has one already but you might consider it. Temps should be okay in April but can still get pretty cold. I also saved parts that were replaced and started a spares kit with them (i.e. old thermostat, old hoses, etc).

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 11:51 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Oh I'm not up for doing it again....at least not so soon. It was tough being away from my wife and kids that long. Sounds like you are doing the right things in terms of vehicle prep. I wound up installing a block heater on my LR3. I'm not sure if your D2 has one already but you might consider it. Temps should be okay in April but can still get pretty cold. I also saved parts that were replaced and started a spares kit with them (i.e. old thermostat, old hoses, etc).
My truck already has a engine block heater, not sure it will do me much good on the trip as I wont have a place to plug it in. Once Im fully moved and settled in up in Ak then I expect it will come in handy. I can understand why your not ready to do it again, its an epic journey for sure. Thanks you. I have a extra brand new motorad thermostat that I never used. Should not ned it but Ill bring it just in case.