Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

2006 LR3 CTPC Install/Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:51 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 LR3 CTPC Install/Setup

Just bought my first Rover a couple of days ago, an 2006 LR3 SE. Just to point it out, I am from Iceland, so they may be some grammar errors in here. Anyways, there are plenty of things on the do to list, but somehow the first thing I got to do was to install a CTPC (CarTheaterPC), since missing the OEM dashboard screen was enoying my *** off - and I wanted to brag a little and show you the setup.

So the setup is combined of the following components :

•7" Lilliput touchscreen (Hitachi panel)

•Made 2x220V plugs in the back, as you can see on the picture below. In the rearside wall compartment I installed an 300W converter in a custom bracket, and still plenty of space to go.

•As it is a 5 seater model, I have plenty of space where the 2 extra seats would normally fould down to. So there I placed an IBM docking station and an IBM T42P model. Earlier I had setup the laptop with an 500GB hard drive, should be enough for media files, audio/video etc. I chose the IBM for two reasons :

1 - The're probably the best built and most rugged consumer laptop available.
2 - The Active protection system for the Hard drive from IBM will come in handy when going over rough terrain.

In the docking station I plugged all the cables needed, VGA, USB, 3.5mm Jack in and out (microphone intended for voice control), and an bluetooth adapter. From there I layed all the cables neatly under the carpet along the fiber optic cables and into the dashboard, and up in the middle where the OEM screen normally would be.

The IBM has XP pro installed on it, but on top of that I installed Centrafuse. Centrafuse is a software specially made with CTPC touchscreen in mind. I will be posting a couple of pictures or even better, a demonstration video of the software when all components are installed and ready.

A couple of things are still missing from the setup, Garmin Mobile PC with Centrafuse plugin, 3G Dongle/3G router, Bluetooth mini keyboard, OBDII bluetooth adapter for realtime engine info and some more, but they will be installed this week. I´m also going to mod the touchscreen to fit better in the dashboard, probably remove the plastics all to gether and refit the screen to improve the angle view and overall looks, and will be working on that tomorrow I guess, and posting some pics of that, if it works..

Well, I'll just let the pictures do the rest of the talking of the setup as it is for now :

Last edited by AntiTrust; 03-07-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Mudding

Looks good!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:37 PM
4wd Low

you are my new best friend!!! I just got a 05 lr3 se and two days ago some busted my window to steal my garmin. 1500.oo dollars worth of damage for a 200 dollar gps. I might be interested in copying your set up it sound great good luck with the rest of the install.