Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Aftermarket Deck w/ Steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:47 PM
WGM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Deck w/ Steering wheel controls

I have an '02 Disco-II ... right now, it's got the factory head unit for the stereo ... If I were to install an aftermarket deck to replace the factory unit, is it possible to hook it up such that I can still use radio controllers on the steering wheel? I would assume that the deck I install would have to be capable of having these features, but I don't even have a clue how to start looking up that info ...

anyone got any experience with this?

Old 03-17-2007, 03:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Aftermarket Deck w/ Steering wheel controls

There are a number of different solutions from plug and play to more universal (like http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BMeolXU...8900&I=127SWIX or for Pioneer/Sony http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BMeolXU...900&I=127SWIPS).

Old 03-17-2007, 03:29 AM
WGM
Overlanding

werldcup ...

thanks so much ... I had no clue that such an animal existed ... So, I simply need to choose a Sony or Pioneer deck, and add this device and I'm good to go? Do you have a recommendation on a deck? I don't want/need a super dooper multi-function heavily amplified deck ... I simply want to replace my stereo deck with a new one that either has the XM receiver built in, or can expand to add the XM "black box" ... Thanks!

Oh yah ... one other thing ... I'd like it if the aftermarket unit can use my existing factory 6-disc changer ... but that's probably asking too much ... LOL

Old 03-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Three Wheeling

That probably is asking too much, but look around on crutchfield (that website i linked to) as they are generally pretty descriptive of what car stereos are available. Then hop on ebay or a cheap electronics site and buy it elsewhere as crutchfield is overpriced. The first link I provided is universal and will work with any deck, only the second link confines you to sony and pioneer. I myself am a fan of kenwood decks, but to each their own.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alpine has an interface available to for the steering wheel controls ...

If all you want is XM or Sirrus satalite they sell FM modulated recievers just pop your deck out install the box on the antenna line give it power from the radio harness and you are done