Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

BackPacker GPS Trails Lite - Android App

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default BackPacker GPS Trails Lite - Android App

Anybody have experience with this free version of this app? I downloaded it and seems to have some capabilities that are pretty nice for what it is. Looks like there are a few upgrade levels for what is provided in regard to maps to "Elite" user and an upgrade to a paid version of the app itself called the 'Pro' version.

The app allows you to use your built-in Android device GPS when no cell coverage is available. The catch is that you have to have downloaded the specific map type (Street, Topo, Satellite view, etc) and in the zoom levels you want to access prior to the need to use it without cell coverage. Looks like you set a setting to cache the maps to you SD card and then view the maps as you would want to view them in the area you are trail riding.

With the different upgrade levels there are state specific maps available or map bundles you can buy. I have not gotten to that point, but NFS and BLM maps are available for download. I plan to work with the free version a bit. It does allow you to create a "bread crumb' type trail with POI and notes, pics, video, voice recording can be inserted as well at the POI.

I am very green on basic GPS in regard to all the features beyond basic street map directions, so some of this may be basic stuff, but looks like it is worth a little investigation.

Here is a review I round on YouTube

Old 08-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been looking for something like this for finding offroad trails. My plain 'ol GPS, much to my amusement, will draw a perfectly straight line if you select "off road" as an option. (Through buildings, across highways, etc. An incredibly useless feature.)
Any idea if the app has forestry trail maps as well?

Old 08-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

We used avenza at the vermont overland trophy. It worked great and used pdf maps we downloaded before we went out.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I saw the video for VOT participants in advance of the event reviewing the maps apps.

Looks like the Avenza PDF Maps that Peter is discussing in the video have been around for a while in the Apple world, and is just now getting designed for Android OS with the Beta version information at the link below. I will have to take a look at that as well. PDF Maps (beta) for Android | Avenza PDF Maps

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 08-18-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

It worked for me on my Android extremely well throughout the event. I was really impressed with it, easy to use and very accurate.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ArmyRover: Did you use another app with it like Peter was using Good Reader iOS app in the video, or does Avenza PDF Maps do what you need by itself?

I have also heard that BackCountry Navigator is a good product, but I have no experience with it.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....license&hl=en

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 08-18-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

It was standalone for us, nothing else needed.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

OK. I think Peter used the Good Reader app to get the maps to use for the PDF map app, so he just provided them and you were set.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

I guess you got me beyond it worked well lol

Old 08-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking for something like this. I like topo when Im hiking or offroad. Being able to pu in a waypoint is a plus and saving old trips to be reused is a must.
Love it I'll be downloading it shortly.
Thanks for the post. We are getting ready for a trip in Colorado. I will try it out when I get there. Does anyone have a solar charger they like ? This is beginning to be a must if a phone is carried instead of GPS and batteries.

Quick Reply: BackPacker GPS Trails Lite - Android App