Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Best location for flat powered subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best location for flat powered subwoofer?

I just picked up a Kenwood KSC-SW10 for my truck to finish off the stereo upgrade.

It's a "flat" powered sub that's about a foot long, 6 inches across, and 4 inches high.

I didn't really give much thought to where I'd put it except under the driver's seat as I did witha similar unitmy othercar.

Well, the unit arrived and I tried to wedge it underneath and it wouldn't go. It then dawned on me that the power seats will go too low and possibly destroy the subwoofer or burn up a power seat motor.

The passenger's seat would do, but suppose someone comes along and lowers the seat fully? I'll be in the same position as if it were beneath mine.

The rear floorboard is a last resort and beneath the plastic side panels outboard my jump seats won't do, either.

I'm out of ideas.

Can anyone think of a creative, out of the waylocation to mount it?

Old 05-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best location for flat powered subwoofer?

U can try selling it to ME, and ill mount it in my discovery 2 and it'll be totally out of your way and wont interfere with anything. No seriously if u want a place to mount it consider the rear gate... u might have to make a cutout back there, unless its already in an enclosure, in which case i dont know what to tell ya.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seems to me that the Disco's are pretty cramped in terms of "free space" because they are like transformers on the inside! I can't help but wonder if it may be possible to mount the subwoofer on one of the jumpseats. You'd have to test it to see if you'd encounter any interference when operating the jumpseat and whether the back door would close etc...but that's the only idea I have to contribute. The only other alternative might be to remove one of the jump seats all-together and use the space to mount the woofer.

Alternatively like JBEGIN said, check the rear door...that might be a tad bit of a pain in the butt to get power to the amp though without making it ugly.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Not much in the way of space in the tailgate, so itwent under the passenger seat.

I didn't permanently mount it, though. It's laying there should I need to scoot it back into the rear floorboard for quick disconnection (read: fording).

Thanks for the tips, though.

Cheers.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

do you have the CD changer under there too?

Old 05-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Nope. Just a small storage bin.

My truck had the base stereo and everything has now been upgraded.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

what about mounting it where the factory sub goes, on the tail door. might even be able to make it look stock if ya get the plastic surround for it, theres a good amount of empty space behind the trim panel back there to sink it in. just something to think about.