Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

D2 in dash GPS, anyone got pics?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D2 in dash GPS, anyone got pics?

Looking to clean up my interior a bit perhaps, right now I have wither a window mount or cellphone on mount for GPS, and a 7" lcd screen in a cupholder mount for the rear view camera.

I'd also like sat radio in the future...

Anyone have any good install ideas for an in dash unit that has a video input and built in gps? loosing steering wheel controls really not a concern... but I dont want to replace the factory speakers.

(ps. what is the stock radio setup? i know mine has a cd changer under the seat but ive never even looked at it haha i just use a 12v cig FM modulator adapter that plays mp3s from a usb stick for music, otehr then that i listen to AM)

Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I used a 7" Magellan GPS with an auxiliary input that I hooked a $10 back-up camera to, but it is dash mounted. I put it in the center down against the dash so it doesn't block the view of the road but it isn't exactly integrated. There have been a few writeups on in-dash units, both double DIN (lots of work) and single DIN with the pop up screens. A quick search should give several examples.

As far as using the factory speakers, you just need to get a Metra 70-1786 adapter and plug it into the factory harness. You can also keep your steering wheel controls with an adapter: PAC SWI-RC Steering wheel control interface — connects your car's steering wheel audio controls to an aftermarket stereo at Crutchfield.com

Old 12-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool info.

which model do you have? i looked at a few on thier site but i dont see any with a video input. the back camera models look like they use usb from thier own camera?

Old 12-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

It's this one: Magellan RoadMate 1700 GPS Navigator - 7" Touch Screen, A/V Input, 6M POI
I bought mine refurbished through Walmart for $90 but if I had spent $150 I could have gotten a new one with lifetime map updates. The input port is a 4 channel 3.5 mm. The pin out they use is not standard, though, so that gave me fits until I figured it out. They probably don't follow standard AV wiring to make you buy their camera. Here's some info on how it is wired: Solved 1700 and ext video (backup camera) input (sort of) - Magellan Vehicle Forum

Old 11-01-2014, 10:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I installed a Pioneer NEX8000 in my 04 Disco. There's pics on a separate thread on this forum of the cuts I had to make in the factory dash to make it a true double din dash. I'm really happy with it so far and the 1.08 firmware update for carplay has been really nice.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Just found that post Robert, fantastic work! I've been wanting to install one of the double din Android units.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

What would have been fantastic is if I'd tested everything first
The hdmi input can't be mirrored to the rear monitors via the rca output. I assumed that the head unit would convert the output to analogue and now get the joy of pulling the head unit again to switch out the cables in the back.
I have an AppleTV , airport express and an inverter installed where the cd changer used to live under the passenger seat, so once I get finished I should be able to both update the movies to the AppleTV using my home wifi (it's a gen1 AppleTv with a 320gb internal HD) and push movies to the rear headeest monitors from the front. I have a toddler and a 4 month old so controlling the video feed from the front was important to me.

The headrests came out great, I'll update with those once they're actually working, but they look stock.