Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

My aftermarket stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 05:21 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My aftermarket stereo

For the longest time I have wanted to change my factory system out. I have finally started doing so. I started with the head unit. I purchased a Boss audio multimedia unit, model 650ua. I bought the metra harness that allows me to use it with the factory amp. My steering wheel controls do not work anymore but that is because I did not purchase the adapter for that.

I replaced the rear cargo door subwoofers completely. I pulled them out along with the housing. I cut the wiring at the amp and spliced into new wires that are running to an 8" Polk subwoofer in a sealed enclosure that sits behind the backseats. The factory amp drives this wonderfully. I replaced the rear door speakers, both 6.5" and both 1" and have 3 way Polks there as well that are 6.5"

I am still using the front door speakers and the tweeters in the a pillars. I may leave it at that because the factory amp drives everything beautifully with no distortion at high volume.

The head unit I am using is what I consider an off brand. However for $55 dollars and free shipping through amazon it was a small investment. I play my music through a 32gb thumb drive and the head unit also allows use of a sd card and it plays audio and mp3 cd's. There is even a nifty remote for the unit. I am very pleased with the sound from the head unit and new speakers. The subwoofer cost me $79.95 on sale through best buy. The new 3 way rear door speakers cost me $99.99 for the pair. I did the entire install myself. I would highly recommend this head unit if you are on a budget. It has 2 sets of pre-outs and also a mono out for a subwoofer.

An ideal set up would be a 4 channel amp to drive four 6.5" speakers and the a pillar tweeters being driven off the head unit itself with crossovers. Then a mono amp for the subwoofer. One could run a 5 channel amp but if one of the channels goes out then you're out of luck. The 4 channel can go under the driver's seat and the mono under the passenger seat.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Great question. What's your budget?

BTW, may I ask a favor. Since you have clipped the subwoofer wires from the amp, could you check to see if your getting any sound from the two front door 6.5" woofers. My research implies that the front door 6.5" are connected somehow with the 6.5"s in the rear door.