Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Stereo quality ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo quality ???

I have a 2000 disco 11 with the alpine deck, cone tweeters on front window columns and rear woofers. I can honestly say it sounds pretty crappy. Not real clear or loud enough for me. My 2000 ford expo used to rock out so I was disappointed when I picked this unit up and heard the stereo.
Some buffoon has disconnected the rear door speakers to start but the rest of the system blows as well. I'm wondering if maybe the amp is not working or is the stereo just not that loud or great to begin with ???
If you put in an aftermarket deck , that puts out 200 watts, will it perform with the Rovers speakers if wired directly into the new harness bypassing
( not using ) the cd changer, amp and steering wheel controls ? I've read conflicting info so any input would be appreciated!
**There are also two jacks into the existing deck, one antenna and one c/d changer?

Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you download the RAVE, it has wiring diagrams for all the stock versions of radios and rear speakers, rear amp, etc. Also has pictures of where the connectors and parts are located.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Rock Crawling

I find the 1997 Discovery stereo system works fabulous with my Kenwood Head system, now, but the amp was bad when I first put it in and it sounded terrible. I also had to replace the subwoofers, which were shot and really do make a big difference.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You can always add a little larger woofer, and play music at a volume level that makes the vehicle shed mud after a romp in the woods.

Attached Thumbnails Stereo quality ???-imagesca2wz1c9.jpg  
Old 02-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Mudding

hahaha I like base but not that much! so let me get this straight;
use the the original speakers, replace the subs ( and of course any other bad speaker) , use a new deck and use the rover amp if good?
**do all the speakers run through the amp ( does the amp have its own power source ?) and then back to the deck?
** did you cut and splice or find a plug converter that worked?
Thanks!!!

Old 02-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Rock Crawling

I had to adapt it, but it was easy. My head unit had outputs to run to an external amp.
All of the regular speakers run through the LRover amp, which has lines that go to the subwoofer amp.
I replace the LRover amp and the subwoofers. I had to rewire anyway, because one (or more) had butchered the wiring installing a stand alone stereo.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:06 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I have a 04 Disco with the OLD navigation system that I do not use. I just priced a JVC system that will allow me to use my iPhone with Satellite Radio and Bluetooth. My question is how difficult will it be to pull the radio/navigation, replace it with the system and link it to the factory CD under passenger seat and utilize the existing I Audio infrastructure (e.g. Speakers Amps etc).? Not looking to blow the.mud off just use iPhone and get hands free?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:03 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In im opinion don't even bother replacing the rear door subwoofer, it's going to be very very weak no matter what you put in there