Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

1993 Range Rover Classic LWB

Old 10-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover
"how clean does the Fibreglass need to be for a clean recovering?"

Very clean. The old glue/foam will cause an issue with the new adhesive. Use a nylon carpet brush(any auto parts store/walmart) and brush that crap off. I found brushing in straight lines worked the best. Just a warning don't use a wire brush it will make a huge mess of the backing board.

Brushes like this work well... Nylon Carpet & Upholstery Brush - Griot's Garage

Dish Scrub Brush, Plastic (YB33273L ) at Aubuchon Hardware
Thanks for that, I think my wife may be about to mysteriously "lose" her kitchen scrubby.

I already used a grill brush to remove all the foam and glue. Thing is that there are still little ***** of adhesive and the fiberglass is still tacky to the touch. I'm not clear on whether I want all the little rolled up ***** of adhesive that aren't very visible to the camera in this shot, gone and the headliner washed down so it's not long sticky, before I start with the fresh headliner material.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

A little bit of progress this past weekend.

I recovered the Headliner. For future reference,m if i were to do this again, I'd start from the back, not the front as it's easier to get started on the surfacec with less indentations and bumps.

I'm almost done getting it all back together and in the car.

Additionally, replaced the passenger side D Pillar with one that Paul Grant sourced for me.
Still to do this week is to fix the rear passenger window and put all the interior trim back. I'll do the radiator and hoses next week.

Last edited by Robert Booth; 10-14-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Once again, a little more progress and a step or two backwards
After a particularly scary drive to the airport on country backroads in the pouring rain I noticed that the new windshield was leaking from the top seal. It needs to go back to safelite this week.
I replaced the wiper blades, noticed that the passenger side arm seems to "slip" position so i'll need to take a look at that this weekend.

Replaced the really crappy OE headlights with sealed beam LEDs from JW Speaker. It's a massive improvement.

While replacing the lights, I noticed that theres a lot of rust behind the passenger side headlight. The headlight shell assembly and battery tray are all in bad shape. so time to look into replacing those.

It's a different look, but I love the way the new headlights work.

On the way to work this morning the passenger front window failed in the down position. Of course it did. I swapped out the switch to no effect so think that the regulator is bad. No time today so i'll try and get the door card off tonight to investigate.

On another note, trying to decide on tires to run this winter. This car is being driven by a young girl with my kids in the back on wet and sometimes icey and snowy country roads here in the Pac NW. I can't decide on whether to run a dedicated studless winter tire like the Blizzak, a studded winter tire, or a "magical" tire like the Duratrac that claims to work in all weather conditions and still be a good snow and ice tire.

If I did get a set of winter tires, it might be an excuse to buy some Wolf steel wheels!

Old 10-29-2015, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

The JW's are very nice units but spendy. Hard to beat the light they put out though

Old 10-29-2015, 03:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice truck!

Old 10-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
The JW's are very nice units but spendy. Hard to beat the light they put out though
I'm interested in how these will work long term. My 109 shows up soon. I might go LED in that too.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:37 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Love the lights!

Re: Snow tires, check out Cooper Discoverer M+S. I've used these for years and they work very well in deep snow and on ice. Let's face it these trucks go like tanks in the winter on an AT tire. But with full snow tires the difference is well worth the money. Size close to stock is 225/75/16.
The biggest problem you will have once you get a set of snows is getting behind some jackass that doesn't.

Cooper Tire & Rubber Company - Discoverer M+S?

Last edited by OverRover; 10-29-2015 at 03:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Robert Booth (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 04:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I was thinking those Coopers or the Duratracs initially. but then started to think about the Blizzak, iPike etc.

It's hard to guess how cold Seattle metro winters will be. If we get the forecast-ed Super El Nino, it'll be warm and wet so I might see increased tire wear with a dedicated winter tire.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Detoured Discovey
Nice truck!
it's a 15 footer for sure. I haven't found a body panel that isn't dented or dinged.

The frame is very clean and rust free, I have a couple of seam rust spots on the inside of the passenger door and the bottom of the sill on the rear drivers side, the battery tray and headlight assembly and then underneath the tail gate.

Other than that, the truck is solid. I still have some electrical gremlins to address and i need to find time to replace the radiator, hoses and fan clutch. All the other cosmetics, I'll take care of next year once the car no longer has to see active duty as the car being driven by our Au Pair.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
you should put a set into that hotrod MGB you're building

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1993 Range Rover Classic LWB