Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

JFINTEXAS Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 09:11 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JFINTEXAS Build Thread

I'm starting my project list in earnest at this point and want to get suggestions from experienced folks on this forum. Not ready for an engine replacement commitment but do want to make practical mods to improve cooling, endurance, etc. While my biggest objective is having a confident off-road adventuring monster, I would still like to drive this thing on the the highway within some reason. My 04 Disco SE is not my primary so I can get creative between now and adventure-time in 2017. I started with one of the more comprehensive build threads, Mike's (Mstudt) - Thank you Mike for the inspiration! I am starting pretty much from a stock 04 Disco with just over 70K on the clock, fresh brakes, recent head gasket relacement. I will plan to do as much of this as I can but will likely reach out to one of the local LR customization shops to help. I am not mechanically experienced but do want to learn as much as I can through this process. If there are any local mechanically inclined volunteers looking to work vicariously through my Disco.... I'm always good for food and drink :-)

My list so far (reaching for the moon here). Looking for suggestions on manufacturer of below parts. (Not sorted by priority yet).
- Raised Suspension, Reinforced Cross-bars, and related parts.
Terrafirma? (2 or 3 inch). Still want to be able to drive on road.
Steering Stabilizer, Tie Rods, Sway Bar Links, Track Bar, Etc? Essentially reinforce and improve while the work is getting done anyway.
- Updated Brakes? Rotors?
- Heat and Sound Insulation through-out. Creature comfort but why not :-)
- Fix Headliner (maybe Dash depending on extent of repair)
- Tires
- Front and Rear Bumper
- Winch
- Skid Plate(s), Differential Covers
- Roof Rack
- Snorkel
- Engine Mods for better cooling... (Intercooler?)
- New Stereo with Pop out Screen, Bluetooth, Nav
- Other considerations?

I will not say I have an unlimited budget for all this but I have set aside more than double what I paid for the Disco to do this work. I want to spend smart and I'm not opposed to off-brand parts if the quality is there. Like I've seen with a number of folks here, I'm all about bang for the buck and making sound, practical investments.

Okay, ears are open. Looking forward to your thoughts and checking back in with y'all through this process on progress.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by jfintexas
I'm starting my project list in earnest at this point and want to get suggestions from experienced folks on this forum. Not ready for an engine replacement commitment but do want to make practical mods to improve cooling, endurance, etc. While my biggest objective is having a confident off-road adventuring monster, I would still like to drive this thing on the the highway within some reason. My 04 Disco SE is not my primary so I can get creative between now and adventure-time in 2017. I started with one of the more comprehensive build threads, Mike's (Mstudt) - Thank you Mike for the inspiration! I am starting pretty much from a stock 04 Disco with just over 70K on the clock, fresh brakes, recent head gasket relacement. I will plan to do as much of this as I can but will likely reach out to one of the local LR customization shops to help. I am not mechanically experienced but do want to learn as much as I can through this process. If there are any local mechanically inclined volunteers looking to work vicariously through my Disco.... I'm always good for food and drink :-)

My list so far (reaching for the moon here). Looking for suggestions on manufacturer of below parts. (Not sorted by priority yet).
- Raised Suspension, Reinforced Cross-bars, and related parts.
Terrafirma? (2 or 3 inch). Still want to be able to drive on road.
Steering Stabilizer, Tie Rods, Sway Bar Links, Track Bar, Etc? Essentially reinforce and improve while the work is getting done anyway.
- Updated Brakes? Rotors?
- Heat and Sound Insulation through-out. Creature comfort but why not :-)
- Fix Headliner (maybe Dash depending on extent of repair)
- Tires
- Front and Rear Bumper
- Winch
- Skid Plate(s), Differential Covers
- Roof Rack
- Snorkel
- Engine Mods for better cooling... (Intercooler?)
- New Stereo with Pop out Screen, Bluetooth, Nav
- Other considerations?

I will not say I have an unlimited budget for all this but I have set aside more than double what I paid for the Disco to do this work. I want to spend smart and I'm not opposed to off-brand parts if the quality is there. Like I've seen with a number of folks here, I'm all about bang for the buck and making sound, practical investments.

Okay, ears are open. Looking forward to your thoughts and checking back in with y'all through this process on progress.
I think I've mentioned that I'm in Longview.

I want to watch this thread. What's first? I always go for the bling first so if you don't have an order of business yet, I'd get the lift and an adjustable Panhard bar and a bumper. That will necessitate shocks and you might as well get the new steering stabilizer at the same time.

Did I misread or do you need a new dash? If so, what color?

Old 12-13-2016, 10:21 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I think I've mentioned that I'm in Longview.

I want to watch this thread. What's first? I always go for the bling first so if you don't have an order of business yet, I'd get the lift and an adjustable Panhard bar and a bumper. That will necessitate shocks and you might as well get the new steering stabilizer at the same time.

Did I misread or do you need a new dash? If so, what color?
Hey Charlie, sounds great. I'll look you up. I have to take a closer look. It's just the center right above the stereo that's popped up. It is separated at the windshield as well but I have seen a kit for that with good results. I know there are mixed opinions about dash rememdiation, but would love to be able to glue it back down since it is such a small area. Otherwise, if replaced, will do it early. (Pic attached)

Last edited by jfintexas; 12-14-2016 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Spelling, typos
Old 12-13-2016, 11:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Hey Charlie, sounds great. I'll look you up. I have to take a closer look. It's just the center right above the stereo that's popped up. It is separated at the windshiwld as well but I have seen a kit for that with good results. I know there are mixed opinions about dash rememdiation, but would love to be able to glue it back down since it is such a small area. Otherwise, if replaced, will do it early. (Pic attached)

I have a black dash that I'm ready to toss out of an 03 that has been sitting in my garage gathering dust for two years. Wife demands a parking space, which is not unreasonable since my projects are taking all three bays. I'll give it a close look and not toss it if it is still in perfect condition.

No charge.

The following users liked this post:
jfintexas (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Damn, that dash curl though. :O

Unfortunately my parts Disco isn't black inside, but looks like Charlie has you covered anyways. That being said, I figure I'd mention perhaps ordering this and installing it with your replacement dash, to prevent it from also curling up over time.

Land Rover Discovery Dash Dashboard Repair Kit

It couldn't hurt at least, that being said I'm not sure if BPUtah is the cheapest vendor for it or not. Might do some looking around for it when the time comes.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Also, you mention practical mods to improve cooling? I whole-heartedly agree with this and honestly would make it first on the list. Do the inline thermostat mod, for the love of god. It is such an improvement that it isn't even funny.

We've done it on five D2's ourselves alone already and it's been amazing on every one of them. Mine personally was one of the first running the mod, way back in 2010.

Here is probably the best write-up on the mod.

Inline Thermostat - LAND ROVER CLUB V.I.

I mean, come on, look at this OEM mess.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:00 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
Damn, that dash curl though. :O

Unfortunately my parts Disco isn't black inside, but looks like Charlie has you covered anyways. That being said, I figure I'd mention perhaps ordering this and installing it with your replacement dash, to prevent it from also curling up over time.

Land Rover Discovery Dash Dashboard Repair Kit

It couldn't hurt at least, that being said I'm not sure if BPUtah is the cheapest vendor for it or not. Might do some looking around for it when the time comes.
Great! Thanks for the link to the dashboard repair kit. I was planning on picking up one of these. So...is the consensus that trying to reglue my current dash down a fruitless proposition? I want it to be sound and reliable. I guess I will take Charlie up on his offer and will use your advice to refinforce it with repair kit. I'll also put the Inline Thermostat Mod at the top of my list. Anything i want to consider doing while the dash is off? I have no idea what else resides under there that may be more convenient to access while it's off.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Great! Thanks for the link to the dashboard repair kit. I was planning on picking up one of these. So...is the consensus that trying to reglue my current dash down a fruitless proposition? I want it to be sound and reliable. I guess I will take Charlie up on his offer and will use your advice to refinforce it with repair kit. I'll also put the Inline Thermostat Mod at the top of my list. Anything i want to consider doing while the dash is off? I have no idea what else resides under there that may be more convenient to access while it's off.

It's always worth a try I guess, I've never attempted it, but I can only assume with it curled that badly, that glue probably wouldn't hold, at least not long term with the kind of heat we have around here.

The following users liked this post:
jfintexas (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Mudding

Yeah, perhaps that will be the case. I think I will give the Gorilla a try plus use the dashboard repair kit to reinforce the area along the windshield. Worst case is it does not work and I have a back up with Charlie's dash. We'll see.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:55 PM
Mudding

All parts ordered for the inline thermostat mod! I love me some Amazon. They had everything and most was on Prime.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272488966411

Last edited by jfintexas; 12-19-2016 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Add link

Quick Reply: JFINTEXAS Build Thread