Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Life with a Free 2000 Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 08:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Yeah, if you have to chop metal then no way. It's too good to butcher up......just yet. Does PT know about this yet?

By the way I miss that pic of the RRC, it was you all the way.....

You know, this kinda makes up for your trip this summer with the 110, your family loves you now. Now when you go on vacation it will involve a Rover without it being about a Rover.....

Old 10-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I don't know that PT has seen this yet. I'm glad to finally get one of the free Land Rovers he always complains about. Maybe it's because people leave them in his front yard lol.

That day in the RRC was one of the great days. It was a beautiful day out, my dad was with me for his first off road trip, and the scenery in the NH Foot hills was breath taking.

The 110 trip this summer was a bit rough but it was still a great time. I am looking forward to using the Disco for the family road trips, especially since Land Rover's have much better seats than my wife's ML320, I think those are actually leather covered cement blocks.

edit: I just sent a text to PT with a link to the thread

Old 10-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill, I am so glad that you are enjoying and loving the disco as much as we did. It couldn't have gone to a better home. My son was a little upset but once I showed him your 110 he felt better and said "Oh, well he sure likes Land Rovers". Finding a person to keep it running and alive is worth so much more than any dollar amount I could've gotten out of it. Enjoy those family trips, I know we did!

Old 10-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by madetheswitch
Bill, I am so glad that you are enjoying and loving the disco as much as we did. It couldn't have gone to a better home. My son was a little upset but once I showed him your 110 he felt better and said "Oh, well he sure likes Land Rovers". Finding a person to keep it running and alive is worth so much more than any dollar amount I could've gotten out of it. Enjoy those family trips, I know we did!
So Pat, did you replace the Rover with the FJ? If so you did the right thing......!!! When my brother had an opportunity to buy his first new vehicle it was between a Disco and a 4 Runner, he chose the Yota. He's owned 5 brand new Toyota vehicles since including an FJ which beat my Disco to death on the trail. He's never had a failure with them, ever. He's not a mechanic and as far as I'm concerned he made the right choice many years ago. I didn't have to rescue him with my toolbox.

Doug

Old 10-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I like the looks of the 2003-2004 headlights, but I like the cost and durability of the older glass headlights. And the glass headlights don't get cloudy on the outside.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:46 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah, I agree with you there. I've compared the glass to newer and mine just throw way more light out front.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
So Pat, did you replace the Rover with the FJ? If so you did the right thing......!!! When my brother had an opportunity to buy his first new vehicle it was between a Disco and a 4 Runner, he chose the Yota. He's owned 5 brand new Toyota vehicles since including an FJ which beat my Disco to death on the trail. He's never had a failure with them, ever. He's not a mechanic and as far as I'm concerned he made the right choice many years ago. I didn't have to rescue him with my toolbox.

Doug
Yes, I work too much and too far away from home to maintain a Rover. I love them still but I needed something more reliable so I didn't spend all my time working on it while I was home.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by madetheswitch
I'm glad the 110 was able to lessen the blow it's a fantastic truck but it is the coldest ride in the winter. Great for off road and camping weekends though

The Disco definitely has been very well received. My wife has been talking about getting her one now. I'm not sure how to feel about that, 3 rovers to keep rolling and a MGB is a daunting task to say the least. At least though I already know most of the in's and out's of them. I even caught her looking on them online on craigslist and cars.com.

Originally Posted by jafir
I like the looks of the 2003-2004 headlights, but I like the cost and durability of the older glass headlights. And the glass headlights don't get cloudy on the outside.
I do to and but I agree 100% the glass headlights are much more durable and I won't be polishing them every few months. Also I just can't see them being worth cutting out the steel behind the head lights like I saw in the how to write up.

I'm looking forward to turning wrenches on it tomorrow. I'll definitely be looking at that right front caliper as well it's still dragging intermittently. Hoping it's a simple fix like the MGB when it had this problem, it turned out to just be a bad brake hose.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Well the junk yard run was a bust. Although I could get a 4.6 crank and rods for $35 bucks.

No head lights, alternators or MAF. The ladder I had seen a few weeks back was gone as well.

Oh well, I have heard that there is a prop shaft sitting on the door step.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Well the junk yard run was a bust. Although I could get a 4.6 crank and rods for $35 bucks.

No head lights, alternators or MAF. The ladder I had seen a few weeks back was gone as well.

Oh well, I have heard that there is a prop shaft sitting on the door step.
wish I could find 4.6 crank and rods for $35 I have an extra 4.0 block.

Quick Reply: Life with a Free 2000 Discovery II