Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 10:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

I feel broke just reading your posts.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

TRIARII I hate to be a magpie but have you tried the MAF yet?

Old 12-11-2016, 05:59 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
TRIARII I hate to be a magpie but have you tried the MAF yet?

No I have not replaced the MAF sensor yet. But if I did someone on here would probably critize me for buying random parts... Hahaha. My mechanic is going to take another look at the truck this week, Ill run it by him and see what he thinks about the MAF as a possiable culprit. Im skeptical about it though because Im not getting any other codes typically associated with a bad MAF sensor.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:02 PM
TReK
Smile

Originally Posted by fishEH
I feel broke just reading your posts.
Time for a career change? This will make you feel better

$$$$$

Size compartison to a 5 gallon bucket

Old 12-11-2016, 06:23 PM
Camel Trophy

Great pics!

Old 12-11-2016, 09:06 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Time for a career change? This will make you feel better
Naaaah, I'm good.

Here I am holding the same "lobster".

Old 12-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Camel Trophy

Ok, but seriously.
You have misfires on 5, 3, and 6. It would stand to reason that if you flop your coil packs and the misfire migrates to 1, 7, and 8 then the problem is with your coil packs. If the misfires stay at 5, 3, and 6 then check the wires and plugs. Example, switch plugs 6 and 4. If the misfire stays at 6 the its probably the wire. If the misfire moves to 4 then its probably the plug.
All that is assuming you've reset the codes and misfire on 5, 3, and 6 come up repeatedly.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:09 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by fishEH
Ok, but seriously.
You have misfires on 5, 3, and 6. It would stand to reason that if you flop your coil packs and the misfire migrates to 1, 7, and 8 then the problem is with your coil packs. If the misfires stay at 5, 3, and 6 then check the wires and plugs. Example, switch plugs 6 and 4. If the misfire stays at 6 the its probably the wire. If the misfire moves to 4 then its probably the plug.
All that is assuming you've reset the codes and misfire on 5, 3, and 6 come up repeatedly.

Cylinder 8 is also misfiring now according to ultragauge. I get your logic on the wires plugs and coils however the plugs have literally been replaced 3 times since January. Wires replaced twice and I had my mechanic go through all the basics already. Im thinking maybe defective coil pack but not sure. Gonna have the truck looked over again this week. Emphasis on the o2 sensor wiring harness, coil packs and maf sensor.

I reached out to Turner Engineering:

"RE: Persistant misfire issue
TE

Turner Engineering

Dear Julian
Thank you for your e mail.

You need to check the pieces on the flywheel that fly past the position sensor, the piece on the opposite side of the starter motor, it is very common for damage to occur to the flywheel when removing and refitting to the engine which causes disturbance to this mechanism. It would be logical to explore this possibility as I presume the engine was not misfiring before removal.

Typical symptoms is that the engine will generally idle ok but misfires when the engine speed increases. Also be aware that in the case of an automatic transmission there is a drive plate which can crack and when replaced (only consider this possibility if the flywheel has completely been dismantled) the locating dowel is designed in such a way that it can be pressed into the back of the piece that it locates to by incorrect assembly. It then will be in the wrong place. It is possible to assemble the flywheel at 90-180 – 270 – 360 degrees. Under these circumstances generally does not start however we did have one customer (diy installer) who complained about incorrect running. He claimed that that everything checked out on diagnostics but apparently the flywheel had been incorrectly assembled.

Conclusion : check the operation of the position sensor and that the gaps are consistent and as specified as the flywheel rotates past the position sensor and if the flywheel has been dismantled to replace the drive plate that everything is in correct alignment."

Im not having the engine pulled out right now but the other suggestions I will have my mechanic look into.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:51 AM
Camel Trophy

Geez, checking the flywheel sensor... That's not such an easy thing to do.

Turner knows their stuff but I am the original Samsonite gorilla on a land rover engine and have swapped multiple times, but never had a flywheel issue. He once called me on his cell phone while vacationing in Las Vegas in response to my urgent need for some parts. Amazing guy.

So I guess he, Turner, is saying it could he a timing issue because he is referring to the sensor that passes the crank sensor.

I reiterate the MAF!!! Both it and the flywheel are timing inputs, but one can be replaced in a tuxedo with no loss of fluids--yours or the truck's-- and the other requires pulling the engine.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

[QUOTE=

I reiterate the MAF!!! Both it and the flywheel are timing inputs, but one can be replaced in a tuxedo with no loss of fluids--yours or the truck's-- and the other requires pulling the engine.[/QUOTE]

You own a Tux?

I once had to do a roadside Borge repair to my tr7's oil pan in my Kilt. That was fun....

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build