Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 06:43 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

and the re-sale value is 7-8k...maybe 10k on a good day given the corrosion issues. Heaven forbid some idiot texting while driving hits you and totals your rig. Ain't no way an insurance company is going to fork over the whole enchilada. Then you find yourself driving a 2004 Honda Civic. Too many eggs in one basket.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Let's not forget that fancy pants misfiring engine!

Originally Posted by TRIARII
$50k? Well what can I say? Really love my girl

But in all seriousness your math is off by $36,596.45... Let me spell it out for ya:

$5,500 for the rig.

Atlantic British parts since 2012: $2,219.37

Rovers North parts since 2012: $5,684.18

Labor charges for engine swap and diagnosing $4k ish.
Total $17,403.55

Plus a couple hundred bucks to John Craddock. Plus cost for premium fuel and lubricants over the years. Lets try to refram from making false or otherwise exaggerated accusations hmmm? Lets stick to the facts.

With help from John Craddock, Turner Engineering and other UK suppliers I could probably do a full restoration on my D2 plus accessories and still cost less than asking price for "like-wise condition" Defender 110 with all legal documents etc.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:59 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

But in all seriousness your math is off by $36,596.45... Let me spell it out for ya:

$5,500 for the rig.

Total $17,403.55

Plus a couple hundred bucks to John Craddock. Plus cost for premium fuel and lubricants over the years. Lets try to refram from making false or otherwise exaggerated accusations hmmm? Lets stick to the facts.

With help from John Craddock, Turner Engineering and other UK suppliers I could probably do a full restoration on my D2 plus accessories and still cost less than asking price for "like-wise condition" Defender 110 with all legal documents etc.
You would know it's your rig.

I guess the Turner short block was free, the rack was free, the ultra rare wheels were free, UltraGauge free,decals/flags/flag pole free, Amazon gear free, and what tires are you running? Not to mention any used parts you might have purchased. If I can remember to add those items to your bill there must be a ton more.

I'm sorry, not trying to beat you up too hard, and my 50k might be an exaggeration, but you and I know that the math you presented is not the complete picture. Besides the engine Install you have never had a mechanic touch your rig?

If I were you I would only calculate the costs like you did, if not it could be depressing.

Last edited by abran; 02-22-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Man, I get so queasy reading this thread.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Man, I get so queasy reading this thread.
it's quite the tome...both inspiring and facepalm-inducing.

A man determined to build his dream by conducting a case-study in abject financial irresponsibility

Old 02-22-2017, 03:26 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
You would know it's your rig.

I guess the Turner short block was free, the rack was free, the ultra rare wheels were free, UltraGauge free,decals/flags/flag pole free, Amazon gear free, and what tires are you running? Not to mention any used parts you might have purchased. If I can remember to add those items to your bill there must be a ton more.

I'm sorry, not trying to beat you up too hard, and my 50k might be an exaggeration, but you and I know that the math you presented is not the complete picture. Besides the engine Install you have never had a mechanic touch your rig?

If I were you I would only calculate the costs like you did, if not it could be depressing.

You got me there as I forgot to include the block and roof rack, still a far cry from $50k though. Amazon kit is another story. The accessories can always be utilized on other vehicles so I dont factor cost of traction mats, tools, light bars, radios or hi-lift into the equation.

Regarding the other blokes comment about responsible spending; you cannot define what is responsible spending for everyone else because we all have different needs, different careers, varied pay grades and very different ideas for an american dream. Not everyone dreams of settling down in an urban neighborhood with kids, mortgage, car payments and debt hanging over our lives.

My lifestyle is about traveling, seasonal contracts around the country, meeting new people, new experiences, making fast cash and living a minimalist lifestyle. My truck serves as a camper, transportation, toy etc so everything works out for me just fine. I dont have a mortgage but I still have a college loan, insurance, taxes and other bills like anyone else. Needless to say I pay my bills on time and activly working on raising my credit score. Big plans and always thinking about the future and my goals.

Last edited by TRIARII; 02-22-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

$5,500 for the rig.

Total $17,403.55

I won't doubt your numbers Julian but that's actually not bad. I know a lot of people that budget ~2k/year to keep their rigs on the road. I'm into mine for way more than that just in parts. Are you including your accessories and stuff in that total? I have to have ~3k just in the ARB front bumper, rear bumper, sliders and SD rack.

***edit I see you didn't include the block and some other stuff.***

Abran, If you can find nice trucks in California, mind sending me some links? Occasionally, i'll find a nice one with a blown engine up here and buy it but for me it has to have zero rust, perfect body and interior. Engine i'm indifferent about.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:14 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
I won't doubt your numbers Julian but that's actually not bad. I know a lot of people that budget ~2k/year to keep their rigs on the road. I'm into mine for way more than that just in parts. Are you including your accessories and stuff in that total? I have to have ~3k just in the ARB front bumper, rear bumper, sliders and SD rack.

***edit I see you didn't include the block and some other stuff.***

Abran, If you can find nice trucks in California, mind sending me some links? Occasionally, i'll find a nice one with a blown engine up here and buy it but for me it has to have zero rust, perfect body and interior. Engine i'm indifferent about.
Most of the accessories were purchased from RN. The arb front bumper, high lift jack and mantec raised air intake. The labor charges of around 4k included engine swap and installation of bumper and snorkel.

Robert: let me know what you wanna do regarding black d2.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:30 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts
Old 02-23-2017, 09:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Regarding the other blokes comment about responsible spending; you cannot define what is responsible spending for everyone else because we all have different needs, different careers, varied pay grades and very different ideas for an american dream. Not everyone dreams of settling down in an urban neighborhood with kids, mortgage, car payments and debt hanging over our lives.
Dude, when you live check to check, spending $1500 on something that can adequately be repaired with a $50 used part just for some piece of mind points is irresponsible.

My lifestyle is about traveling, seasonal contracts around the country, meeting new people, new experiences, making fast cash and living a minimalist lifestyle.
That's all wonderful and sounds fun, but none of that precludes you from building a savings account.

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build