Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Too many D1's

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Too many D1's

My current trail truck has seen better days. Its a '98 with about 135,000 miles on it. The engine is tired, the passenger side is quite dented, and the rust has really gotten to it. Most recently it has been giving me a CEL and codes for all the O2's . It seems to run fine but it won't pass emissions that way.

A '95 D1 popped up for sale about an hour from me so I jumped on it.
This will be the build up of that truck. It has approx. 80,000 miles(maybe more because the speedo/odo cut out on my drive home, LOL) and is an SD so no sunroofs and manual seats. Until '09 it was a Florida truck so the rust is pretty much non existent, and what is there is minimal and will clean up well. The '95 is great because its OBDI which means NO EMISSIONS testing! Woohoo! Suck it, Illinois!

I built up my '98 over the course of a few years with no real direction. I changed things multiple times and always regretted not having a cohesive build thread. So now I get the chance to!!

Here's my very preliminary list of problems to fix:
-Trans selector is hard to shift, difficult to tell what gear you're in. Hopefully a good cleaning will rectify this.
-There's some weird button installed to shift the CDL from Hi to Lo. Presumably because the TC can't tell when you're in Neutral so the solenoid won't retract. Hopefully I will find the cause of this when addressing the transmission shifter. If not I'll simply remove the TC solenoid along with the dumb bypass button.
-The Drvier's seat is toast. The seats are manual so I'll probably fit in some cheap racing style seats or try to find a set from a used Acura or the like.
-The plastic on the dash is all cracked. Not a huge deal because the inside of my '98 is actually in really good shape.

Here's a pic of it!
Name:  IMAG1580_zpsggbq5c9a.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  88.3 KB

Last edited by fishEH; 06-12-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:52 PM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Thanks for taking us along on this one. Should be fun.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Camel Trophy

It should be fun I think. A lot of what will be done will be transferring stuff from my '98 to the '95. Some of the work I did on the 98 was done somewhat hastily because it was my daily driver much of the time and there was always a hurry to get it back together so I could get into work.
I plan on working a little slower and methodically on this one, making things cleaner. I don't have a huge budget, but I do plan on buying a welder and fabbing up some things.
The only timetable I have is to get it back together and sorted out by April for a trip to Utah.

I already rigged the back door to work. It would only open from the inside before. I yanked the door panel off and found a couple clips undone on the actuator mechanism. Now it works so long as the lock button is held up(which is accomplished through duct tape) so I must be missing a clip still....

Old 06-12-2014, 10:57 PM
Camel Trophy

Worked on the drivers window a little tonight. Took the grab handle off and the whole panel fell off, LOL.
Found a surprise tucked in the door too! And old(and empty) bottle of the wrong brake fluid(DOT3).
Name:  IMAG1592_zpsaysunm15.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  77.5 KB
Two rollers were broke on the window regulator amd one of the arms was bent, and the tooth thing is MIA too. I grabbed a good used one from the shed, just need to get some new rollers from Lowes tomorrow.

Here's a couple more showing how crappy the inside is.
Name:  IMAG1595_zpsqcajyrce.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  64.3 KB
Name:  IMAG1593_zpsmnt0xpdf.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  79.3 KB

Looks worse in the pic. That'll brush right off and clean up nicely.
Name:  IMAG1594_zpslto1pbnj.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  92.5 KB

Old 06-18-2014, 08:26 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is my 95 build almost done.

Attached Thumbnails Too many D1's-95-rover.jpg  
Old 06-18-2014, 03:43 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Worked on the drivers window a little tonight. Took the grab handle off and the whole panel fell off, LOL.
Found a surprise tucked in the door too! And old(and empty) bottle of the wrong brake fluid(DOT3).

Two rollers were broke on the window regulator amd one of the arms was bent, and the tooth thing is MIA too. I grabbed a good used one from the shed, just need to get some new rollers from Lowes tomorrow.

Here's a couple more showing how crappy the inside is.

Looks worse in the pic. That'll brush right off and clean up nicely.
That looks like a pic of my front seats!

Old 06-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Camel Trophy

Been pretty slow going, I know. But yesterday was a game changer. A D2 that was being parted at my house got hauled off which opened up some room on my side driveway.
Name:  20140619_084843_2_zpsagkzwvgr.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  141.3 KB

A few hours after that my '98 D1 essentially sh*t the bed. Multiple failures literally within 5 minutes of eachother. Super high revs, stalling, Resr window regulator breaking, noise from rear wheel hub, and the ECU stopped communicating with my Torque app and code reader.

So, NOW I'm motivated LOL.
Picked up some black silicone to do some window seal repairs today.
Name:  IMAG1702_zpszvxznmdf.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  55.3 KB

Old 06-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Mudding

Call Lee at English-Swedish Spares Address: 345 Branch Dr, Alpharetta, GA 30004 Phone:(770) 475-2662 they have every thing you need to fix that rovers interior and they ship. Tell him Jason said to call they are a rover saab junk yard. That is where I get most of my parts from also very reasonable on prices he sold me a maf for 25$. I wish I knew you need seat I would have sold you some still have a back seat And if you need a maf I have 3. Also the Exmoor seat refit kit looks sweet in them getting mine after summer. You cannot put 96 97 98 seats in a 95 base plate is different but you can recover one with 96 97 98 foam and material.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:23 PM
Mudding

Also check under where the seat is bolted in bad area for rust and mold on a 95 had it bad on mine the mold part had to pull all of the carpet and replace and clean what I could rust wasn't bad but still there.

Quick Reply: Too many D1's