Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

New Defender owner (Santana, actually)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 06:20 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

SOA cheap 3-4 inch lift, check some jeep sites

Old 07-26-2015, 05:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got and have driven it about 150 miles - advice on injection pump, please.

I am overall pretty happy with it so far. The only real negative is that whenever I do anything but mildly accelerate, I get a lot of black smoke out of the exhaust. I am assuming this is due to the high elevation it lives (9000 feet) compared to from where it came, sea level in Spain.

Another negative is water is getting inside somewhere and I havent tracked that down as of yet.

I have confirmed it is a typical 2.5 NA engine and LT 85 split case gearbox. The gear box functions perfectly and does not have the 5 gear noise I have read can be a problem. The transfer case also works flawlessly in high or low in 2 and 4wd. The center locking feature is really nice too.

As far as it being different than a UK built D90, there isnt much aside from not having coils. The ride with parabolic leafs really isnt bad at all. All of the bits I have replaced so far fit perfectly, including the gauge cluster and gauges. The only negative is the MPH speedometer I purchased does not fit the cable used by the KPH speedometer. I shouldnt be surprised at the KPH unit is a Veglia unit. The electrical system is all Hella as well and I assume that is unique to the Spanish version as well.

It has "Land Rover" stampings and stickers all over it. About the only thing that says Santana is the VIN plate and the front and back emblems.

I am relatively new to diesels. Does anyone have any advise on adjusting the injection pump to run a bit leaner for the higher elevation climate?

Many thanks!

Last edited by terryjm1; 07-26-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:04 AM
Baja

anything has to be a step up from the Lucas wiring

Old 08-19-2015, 03:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Injection pump adjustment for altitude

Adjusting the injection pump to eliminate the black smoke worked perfectly. I still get a little under hard acceleration but not enough to be worried.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:28 AM
Baja

i have noticed quite a few Santana's list as having a 6 cylinder diesel in them? Land rover?

Old 08-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Default 6 cylinder

Santana did put 6 cylinder engines in them. I have only seen them in the larger 110 version, I believe they labeled it as the 3500. From what I have read and photos of the engine support it, it is basically a 4 cylinder with two cylinders added on using the same parts as the 4 cylinder where practical. My understanding is Santana actually manufactured the engine blocks themselves. They also built the LT85 gearbox and sold it to LR.

The "trend" I have seen with the Santanas is they tried to consolidate to more reliable and less expensive assembly staying with older parts as much as possible in newer models. It seems LR was trying to make the latest and greatest with each model year change and Santana would change the body style with LR and keep previous models drivetrain components. My Santana, an 88 model year, has the LR 88 looks but a majority of the early 80's mechanicals mixed with some of the later stuff. While it was a pain in the backside to find an oil filter, I liked that it was double the size of the UK LR version. I have exchanged email with folks from Spain that claim the goal of Santana was to improve upon the UK models and make them less expensive. From what I have seen it was a compromise on both accounts. I do wish they had switched to coils but it isnt that terrible having the parabolics.

A interesting note on my LR, with 166,000 KMs on the clock, it still has the original exhaust system in relatively good condition.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice looking rig. I'm Jealous! Couple thoughts:

1) Why not just leave it with leaf springs rather than go through all that work converting to coils? What is that going to gain you? Those are a military wrap style spring which is top quality. If the main leaf breaks, the second leaf will support the vehicle and get you to your destination. Jack Jackson in his classic Off-Road book (practically a 'bible'), swears from many years 3rd world off-road experience in the middle of nowhere, he would pick a Land Rover Series III as his top pick as the only serious expedition vehicle. Not a newer coil sprung vehicle (although he does heap high praise on coil spring Defenders). That's not far from what you have. These vehicles with the leaf springs are very tough. The first gen Toyota trucks are some of the few stock vehicles I've seen that use a military wrap leaf spring and everyone knows that those trucks were (still are) considered legendary in ruggedness. Maybe the older Jeep CJ's too?? Leaf springs can give good off-road articulation. Maybe not as good as coils, but unless you are making an extreme rig, they will do what you want and I think leafs are cool too. Plus, it's a lot easier and cheaper to lift the vehicle with leaf springs. For smoother on-road ride, pry apart and lube with plate lube, or add nylon at the tip of the leaves.

2) If you do go with coils, I would think early Disco axles would work and I would think someone from the UK makes conversion kits. Or, the Disco or Range Rover parts would fit. But I don't have any direct experience. I wonder if it's possible to search old articles of Land Rover Monthly or any of those magazines?? I bought some old L/R magazines and I've seen lots of conversion articles ...like converting from gas to diesel and Lh to Rh drive...things like that.

Last edited by Mark G; 11-09-2015 at 01:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
terryjm1 (09-03-2019)
Old 11-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
terryjm1 (09-03-2019)
Old 08-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Hello all,

It has been quite a while since I checked the forum and posted. I have been doing a lot with the Santana. Now that I have first hand confirmed some things, I will share.

1. It is 95 ish% the same as the British produced version with some improvements. The galvanized frame is awesome without a single spot of rust.

2. The parabolic springs are fine for durability but are definitely not the greatest for ride. I am fine with them, though.

3. When I say 95%, I mean in terms of matching factory parts. The rub is the parts are from a combination of Series 2, 3, and Defender. It is a total guessing game buying parts. The LT85 mated to the 2.5 NA made it very interesting getting the right slave cylinder. I buy most of my parts from Paddock Spares, so returning them is not a viable option. I typically will do my best to guess the correct part number, pairing it down to 2 possibilities, and ordering both. I then unload the one that doesn't fit on eBay at a bargain price. Once I have all the part numbers figured out it will be a breeze.

3. Some things are unique to the Santana, such as wiper, headlight, and turn signal controls. The exterior stop and turn signal lights are unique to Santana as well. I will be removing them and swapping in the Defender versions. Ditto for the headlamp trim which is also unique to Santana. However, all parts that are different are easily interchanged.

4. The 2.5 NA has some differences from the British version. For example, the oil filter and housing/attachment is different. Santana went with a much larger oil filter. However, it is available from industrial equipment suppliers as it apparently is used on large stationary diesel / electric generator like a hospital would use.

5. It is absolutely a Land Rover, though. It isn't an identical twin, more like a fraternal twin, but certainly not as different as a cousin or distant relative.

I have decided to give it a facelift. I purchased a pair of NTO doors from Safari and some other new panels from Paddock Spares. I'm not thrilled with the fiberglass puma hood but for the price I can't complain. The new panels are all painted and ready to install. Next visit to the cabin I will get them installed.

Yes, it isn't a Defender 90 but at 1/3 the price and no plan to ever sell, who cares. It is awesome! My 5 year old loves it, too!

Cheers,

Terry

Last edited by terryjm1; 08-06-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Justasantanaowner (02-03-2022)
Old 02-14-2017, 09:25 AM
Overlanding
Default Santana

Originally Posted by terryjm1
I am overall pretty happy with it so far. The only real negative is that whenever I do anything but mildly accelerate, I get a lot of black smoke out of the exhaust. I am assuming this is due to the high elevation it lives (9000 feet) compared to from where it came, sea level in Spain.

Another negative is water is getting inside somewhere and I havent tracked that down as of yet.

I have confirmed it is a typical 2.5 NA engine and LT 85 split case gearbox. The gear box functions perfectly and does not have the 5 gear noise I have read can be a problem. The transfer case also works flawlessly in high or low in 2 and 4wd. The center locking feature is really nice too.

As far as it being different than a UK built D90, there isnt much aside from not having coils. The ride with parabolic leafs really isnt bad at all. All of the bits I have replaced so far fit perfectly, including the gauge cluster and gauges. The only negative is the MPH speedometer I purchased does not fit the cable used by the KPH speedometer. I shouldnt be surprised at the KPH unit is a Veglia unit. The electrical system is all Hella as well and I assume that is unique to the Spanish version as well.

It has "Land Rover" stampings and stickers all over it. About the only thing that says Santana is the VIN plate and the front and back emblems.

I am relatively new to diesels. Does anyone have any advise on adjusting the injection pump to run a bit leaner for the higher elevation climate?

Many thanks!

Hi. Folks say the same thing about most Santanas. I have an 80 Santana Ligero and have yet to find ANY part that isn't compatible with a Series III. My biggest issue is that after 37 years it has some non-standard parts that make buying supporting pieces a bit challenging. For instance, it has Defender 90 seats which is a good thing but the mounts are not S-III but not all Defender either. Being a Ligero, there's additional confusion.

terryjm1 (09-03-2019)

Quick Reply: New Defender owner (Santana, actually)