Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1993 Camel Trophy

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

All I can say is wtf and wow

Guess this is a good lesson to not leave your stuff lay around other peoples property

Old 03-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Holy crap dude.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome truck and a great read.
So glad you had a lawyer deal with it.

Keep posting photos! Love that truck.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roflcopter
So, here is an update! With this situation, I have been keeping it secret. I didn't want to stir up anything whilst dealing with it. Enjoy!

Originally, when I bought the car, i thought it was a fake. But with the diesel, I thought....heck...why not.... Once I found out it was rare, I started to search for missing parts. I had a friend who knew Tom Collins and got me in contact. After I talked to Tom, I received Webber Arnold's(1991 camel trophy driver?) number. Webb was the first owner, after the truck was damaged. I have some paperwork that came with the truck and his name is on the first bill of sale from Land Rover of North America. So, I decided to give him a call. No answer. I left a message saying the truck was broke and was looking for missing parts. Soon after, he called me and said: "Oh, it's running and working? It's stolen!" Which I responded with, Bullsh*t. Then he called a Mesa County sheriff and told the sheriff his side, only. The sheriff called and said that I might have a stolen vehicle. I said how could it be stolen, if I have paperwork(bill of sales leading up to me)? Which the sheriff responded, " Oh, there is paperwork? Webb didn't tell me that. Fax it over." Then the sheriff calls back and said" well I found Bob(the guy who sold it to me) and he said he knew about the paperwork, except the bill of sale to you. That makes this a forgery and you are a bonafide purchaser, we will tow the vehicle and you will be compensated. We are going to tow the vehicle." Then, out of nowhere, San Miguel County shows up, getting ready to tow the vehicle. I Called my lawyer immiadiatly, and we threatened to sue San Miguel County and Mesa County for not going through "Due Process". They backed off and would allow it to go through the court system, and the sheriff dropped his case. Then Webb filed a civil suit against me for possession of the truck. Webb screws up the paperwork,multiple times(saying I lived in Mesa county, etc), doesn't get a lawyer, and tries to serve me a week before a court date in grand junction(which we get it moved telluride, soon after). With the extra time, We decided to get the sheriffs report and check out his investigation. We read the entire thing from start to finish, and found out hthe sheriff dropped the case, not because of us threatening to sue, but because he found some interesting info out. Webb gave the land rover to his brother(Charlie) in 2009ish(all the documentation, keys, etc), who kept it on his property. Soon after, Charlie's marriage goes to **** and his wife wants the truck off the property.....Charlie then tries to joint sell it with Bob to a guy in Alaska, but the sale falls through and the truck is parked on Bob's property for over a year, without contact or payment, making it abandoned. Bob had the right to sell it and the fault was with Charlie. We finally make it to a preliminary hearing. Webb verifies my documentation, except the bill of sell from Webb to Bob. Webb doesn't bring a lawyer(tries to make his wife the power of attorney, so he doesn't have to pay a lawyer and get help from her?.....which is not how that works...) and pisses off the judge right away, who normally sides with people who feel wronged. I win the preliminary by a land slide and the land rover was ordered the stay in my possession. The judge orders a mandatory mediation. So we let Webb chooses a Mediator, and we head to montrose. Both pay the fee, sit in separate rooms, and the mediator does his job. Webb tries some bargaining, still without a lawyer, and We decline, giving him the option of dropping the case or going to court and his almost guaranteed loss, having to pay my attorney fees in full. After a couple hours, the mediator convinces him that he will not win and to back off. He signs the paper work and the truck is STILL legally mine, but now with added bonus of it being mine in the "eyes" of Colorado. Either way It was a honor to meet Mr Arnold! I was also honored for Mr. Arnold to meet my lawyer.

Lesson of the day, lady's and gents, is to get a lawyer if you need one(you get what you pay for, especially when choosing a lawyer) and if you wanna tango with me, let's tango....cause I don't f*ck around.

Hope the read was not too long.

Ps: I'm not here to slander anyone's name. I am just telling my story, with facts from the Mesa County Sheriff's reports and my lawsuit information/outcome.

Jesus Christ that's so freaking wild! Glad everything worked out for you.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:10 AM
Three Wheeling

Scavenged another photo, possibly more, from another source. *Here is a taste! *

Also, I ordered my driving lights and new front/rear camel trophy plaques from the UK.

Name:  imagejpg1_zps24cb94d9.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  116.2 KB

Old 04-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Three Wheeling

The plaques are in! They look great! The driving Hellas are on the way from the UK as we speak!

Name:  imagejpg1_zpsec571874.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  60.5 KB

Old 04-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Way to go, but you know Hella 550 and 500's are easily available on amazon right?

Old 04-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks sick!!

Old 04-18-2014, 02:35 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Way to go, but you know Hella 550 and 500's are easily available on amazon right?
I need 1000's! Saw plenty of them, but found some cheap driving lights from the uk. I want it to be as close to original as possible.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:05 AM
Three Wheeling

Finally got my driving lights(Hella 1000's) and started assembling the lights on the top. Gotta get a pop rivet gun and drill down to the shop, so I can mount the signs. But this will do for now. More pictures soon.

So, I took the warn lights, that were mated up top on the roof rack by the previous owner, and temporarily put them on the bumper. They are different than the original hella (550?), but will give me an idea of what it should look like.
Name:  imagejpg2_zpsfeacbe9a.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  44.2 KB

Closer look of the install.
Name:  imagejpg1_zpsb137fed9.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  37.3 KB

I found the original wires for the fog lamps on the bumper.
Name:  imagejpg5_zpsbc231941.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  36.7 KB
Name:  imagejpg4_zpsf038316e.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  22.1 KB

Starting to mock up one of the 3 sand ladders I have to the damaged side of the rack. The threaded studs are damaged, but I'll rig something up soon.

Name:  imagejpg6_zpsc0daa3a1.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  40.8 KB
Name:  imagejpg7_zps4c9e5495.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  38.1 KB

After a little spin in the colorado country side.
Name:  imagejpg8_zps60084878.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  33.8 KB

Quick Reply: 1993 Camel Trophy