Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1995 Disco what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 11:21 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Disco what to look for

Hello, I attempted to search this but I must not be using the right words.
I'm looking at a 1995 Discovery on Monday, it's a 3.9L and automatic.
The seller said it has a little throttle lag.
What should I look for as far as problem areas both mechanical and in the body?

Thank you

Old 05-28-2016, 01:02 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As posted in the tech section https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...scovery-21328/ goodluck

Old 05-28-2016, 05:24 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!

Old 05-28-2016, 03:44 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kfc4life
Hello, I attempted to search this but I must not be using the right words.
I'm looking at a 1995 Discovery on Monday, it's a 3.9L and automatic.
The seller said it has a little throttle lag.
What should I look for as far as problem areas both mechanical and in the body?

Thank you
In addition to that thread, you probably want to crawl under it and look around, too to look for rust on the frame, and anything else you see. The oil cooler hoses will probably be leaking, they're not a huge PITA to replace as long as you have proper wrenches. Look at all the rubber bits on the suspension and motor mounts, etc.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll add a few items.

The insulation under the carpet is like a giant sponge. Once it gets wet, it stays wet forever. Because of this, the floor rots out faster than most other parts. Prime candidates are the drivers side footwell and the edge of the cargo area where it meets the door sill. Drivers side carpet is hard to get up, but you can remove the six or so screws that hold the sill cover in the back and roll back the carpet fairly easily. If it is rusty, probably a good indication there's more, likely a lot more. Also look in the fender wells, and along the underside edge, below the doors.

Make sure the check engine light comes on when you turn the key to the second position before you start it; it takes five minutes to pop the bulb out. If it is on, most likely that will lead to oxygen sensors and/or new catalytic converters, which will set you back $1200.00 for parts alone.

Take it on a bumpy highway cruise, if the wheel shimmies in your hands when you hit a bump at speed you got "death wobble" and will be replacing bushings, a huge pain in the *** or expensive, depending on whether you do it yourself or pay someone else.

Check to see if it sits straight when looking at it from the rear. The original springs have a different spring rate for each wheel, ostensibly so it would sit right when only one person was sitting in it? To be honest, I don't know why they did that. But the outcome is that the passenger side springs sag more after a while, more so in the rear so if looks like it is listing to starboard, it's going to need springs.

Sunroofs almost always leak. See aforementioned rust issue.

While you are looking up, chech the headliner. The fabric separates and it sags. Another huge messy pain in the *** to deal with. And once it starts, no way to stop it.

If you work on it yourself, be ready to battle with every nut, bolt and screw. There are no quick repairs on these things. Hope you have a three foot breaker bar and are good at drilling and tapping after shearing a steel bolt in an aluminum casting.

Well, I could go on all day. Mostly, what I have learned from my rover; keep your triple A up to date, and this thing is the epitome of fix me now for $, fix me later for $$$$$$.

But I still love the thing. And I can't even really say why.

The following users liked this post:
Chadley (05-30-2016)