Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1995 Discovery won't seem to keep running

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Discovery won't seem to keep running

Hello, Everyone! I'm a new member with and older Discovery 1 (1995 with 170,000 miles), and I'm having some problems with my car. It starts up but runs only for about ten seconds before stalling; it stalls even quicker if you step on the gas. While it idles for the brief moment, the engine sounds beautiful, no misses. Here's what I've already done to try to diagnose the problem (by the way, I am not a mechanic, just a newbie who is tired of bringing it to the mechanic, with a father-in-law who's pretty good with engines): added fresh fuel with fuel additive; changed the fuel filter; cleaned the MAF; cleaned the Stepper Motor; checked the air-filter/box/hose; cleaned the crankcase vent; insured there is fuel supply. For a while, I could extend the time it idled for by putting my hand over the air intake, but now that doesn't seem to work any longer. Any ideas?

Old 07-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

There should be a black box under the passenger seat that has red LED numbers lit. What are they?

Old 07-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Drifting

Hi, ihscouts, thanks for responding. There are no lights lit on that little black box (OBD module?); there used to be, but nothing shows anymore. Do you have an idea of how I can check to see if it's working, or to determine if it's burned out? Thanks!

Old 07-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Drifting

OK...maybe some good news: I wiggled the little black box and the 03 code reads out on the LED display. Not sure what that code means; it's not listed on the OBD Code list that I have. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 07-21-2015, 05:00 PM
Drifting

OK...perhaps not. I just went out to try again and now there are no codes showing. Which I would imagine...if this was not my vehicle...that would be a good thing. But I'm not too sure these days...

Old 07-21-2015, 06:07 PM
Camel Trophy

03 = ECM memory recently cleared......

Does the Check Engine light come on when the truck does run?

Also when you put your hand over the inlet your making the air fuel mixture rich like a choke would.

The fact that it dies when you try to increase the rpm's makes me think you have trouble with the Throttle Position Sensor. They develop contact dead spots at or just above idle when worn. You might want to snag one of those.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Drifting

Hi, ihscouts - thanks for the response/information. Right now, the OBD module is clear (no fault codes showing). There are no warning lights on at all; just the usual just before you try to start it, but nothing while its idling or after it stalls. Can you clean/service the Throttle Position Sensor? Any way to test it? I will get a replacement if not. One other thing: the alarm doesn't work, and neither does the single-button remote I have. I changed the batteries, but still nothing. Any chance the alarm system has anything to do with the vehicle not running/stalling? Thanks again!

Old 07-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Camel Trophy

With a Digital Volt/Ohm meter you can test the continuity of the TPS through it's sweep, removed from throttle housing. If the signal voltage from the meter falls out (no ohmic value) that's a dead spot.

The alarm should have a red blinking light on the dash. If it's not blinking - it's not active. I believe you can test the alarm with the drivers door lock switch. Try locking with the door key, should get a flash from the turn signals, a beep from the horn and the blinking light on the dash..... or something like that. Three lock/unlocks of the door usually syncs/resets it.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Drifting

Hi ihscouts - thank you again for your insight. I will try the TPS Sensor check, as well as the alarm test tomorrow and report back. Have a great evening!

Old 07-21-2015, 07:35 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How did you verify there was fuel supply? Check fuel pressure, there is a valve for this on the rail that looks like a tire valve

Quick Reply: 1995 Discovery won't seem to keep running