Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1996 Discovery I 5 speed Hesitation/Misfire-5 year mystery

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Savannah Buzz, can you tell me where the speed sensor circuit board, Cruise control ecu and service reminder board are located? I have searched the Rave and other pdf's but they don't show where they are. Thanks

Old 10-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It is common for circuit board solder joints to become cracked and all they need is to be re-soldered.
This is true for any of the DI circuit boards, anytime something does not work on a DI, and it has a circuit board, if the switch is good and it is a intermittent problem... probably a cracked solder joint.
When your back windows no longer work, broken solder joint in the window lift ECU.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Drifting

Spike555 - so true - I re-soldered the window circuit board this summer to fix the rear window problem. I just need to find the speed, cruise or service board and I will check them out. The Rave manual is vague as to where these are. Thanks

Old 10-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Wait, wait, wait. Did you install the VSS for a manual, auto or don't know? The manual and auto are not equal spacing requirements. Wrong distance from triggers and who knows. This is common and so are harness wires to VSS connector just might be missing insulation. Check, check, check.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

From RAVE:

Speedometer
The Vehicle Speed Sensor (X190) sends a signal to
the speedometer in the form of voltage pulses. The
pulses are filtered by a Vehicle Speed Sensor Buffer
inside the speedometer. The voltage alternates
between battery voltage and 0 volts 6 times per
wheel revolution. The speed sensor signal is also
sent to the Cruise Control ECU (Z121), Multifunction
Unit (MFU) (Z148) (Persian Gulf States), and the
Engine Control Module (Z132).

I pulled out the pictured board from a cluster, thought it would fix my tach. Nope, but a new alternator did.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:00 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Wait, wait, wait. Did you install the VSS for a manual, auto or don't know? The manual and auto are not equal spacing requirements. Wrong distance from triggers and who knows. This is common and so are harness wires to VSS connector just might be missing insulation. Check, check, check.
ihscouts - checked part number on VSS - Data Acquisition Limited England, YBE 100540, also has number 6F 192. I can't find any other speed sensor on AB or other parts site that differentiate between auto and manual. Any ideas there?

Wiring at harness that plugs into VSS, and the plug itself looks good, where it enters the loom. No obvious damage on the loom itself up to the main terminal connector on left side engine bay, and where it enters into the firewall - unless there is a problem inside the loom.

Next I will find the Service Module, and Cruise Control to disconnect and see of that helps, then into the instrument cluster to get at the speedo circuit board

Old 10-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I believe the CKP spacing may be what he recalled, it is different for manual and auto trannys.. And of course nothing says your new VSS is not bad from the tender mercies of the freight handling system and an exciting game of warehouse hockey....

Old 10-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Further testing:
-Unplugged the Cruise Control - no change
-Unplugged the Service Reminder Module - no change
-Check the instrument cluster circuit board - no visible damage or bad solders
-Disconnected the Speedo side of instrument cluster - same result as disconnecting the VSS - truck ran great with no hesitation
- Checked/cleaned visible VSS wiring and plug - no sign of damage

Next steps: replace instrument cluster and/or circuit board, if that doesn't work, will run new wires from the VSS, if that doesn't work, will buy yet another VSS!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Drifting

Still diagnosing...
-Replaced the Instrument cluster - no change
-Replaced the sensor wire from the VSS to the wiring harness in the engine bay-no change

Next will replace the VSS (again).
After that, who knows? Could it be a bad ECU, and disconnecting the VSS is simply bypassing the bad sections in the ECU?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Open the ECU, is it full of water?
Is it corroded and nasty inside?
I did not know there were 2 different VSS'sss''''ss'.
Call Rovers North and ask those guys, they know everything.
Since the stealer installed it I would assume they used the correct one, but who knows, they make mistakes too.

Quick Reply: 1996 Discovery I 5 speed Hesitation/Misfire-5 year mystery