Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1996 Discovery I 5 speed Hesitation/Misfire-5 year mystery

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 06:51 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the Autologic, there is a function that is actually called 'Learn' in one of the menus. There may be a couple of specific steps, like having the ignition on, then turning it off, I can't remember exactly. I was also able to 'Learn' the code with my new Blackbox Solutions Faultmate MSV-2. If there is a mismatch on the immobilzer code, the car will turn over, but not fire. In some cases, the car may start 1 or twice with a mismatched code in the ECU before it immobilizes.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:50 PM
5th Gear

So new to forum. Hello to all! I have read this whole thread now and I am convinced I have what you guys are going through. Same Intermittent acceleration problems. Only happens when heated up and a out 55 to 65 mph most of the time but will also sometimes do it any old time while pressing o. Gas. When slowing down it doesn't like to stay running all the time but most times.es it will just drop very low and then go back to idle when fully stopped. Cruise control hasn't worked since I've owned. Back window not working. Speedo will intermittently flicker all around. I have never er used a voltmeter but feel I should learn now to really figure out what's going on. I am really not trying to fry anything. I guess I will look now anywhere. Etween the vss and the ecu. Ecu is the one that by the washer fluid container right? So I should just check any wires and connection for rust, corrosion buildup. When I get my meter, how should I check for complete circuits and such? I am downloading rave now.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:54 PM
5th Gear

Very sorry. 1997 land rover discovery. Manual. I am not a mechanic but would like to at least be able to fix my own stuff. I have always done so with other vehicles of mine and seem to learn more and more e erytime I fix so.ething. also I am replying and reading the forum all from my phone so kind of hard to hit the right buttons so.etimes. please forgive me.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:18 PM
5th Gear

So I e looked under black cover to ecm? It's the one by washer fluid resorvior. It looks prestine from the outside along with wires to it so far. I don't have autologic but thinking of getting voltmeter. Any way, it looks good for outside. Forgot to say now that I think of it that headlights don't work now. Stopped working about 3 weeks ago? Also the check engine light finally came on with a p1316 code misfire. Are all these symptoms able to happen from one place? Would it definitely be ecm? What do you guys think?

Old 07-11-2017, 04:24 PM
5th Gear

Also I have .etro mile insurance. They send a little plugin for the obe connection. With it connected that is how they decide how much my Insurance is. Besides that though, it also sends me a message of what the check engine light is on for. It only reads codes though. Also I have 2 in suspension lift with 265/75/16 BFG Goodrich All-terrains. This is my daily driver and will be giving it over to my fiance soon to go to boot camp for Marines. I really want it to work well for her and lessen the amount of time she will have to get mechanics to work on it while I am gone.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Really interesting thread, thanks!

If you're having a lot of problems with the vehicle, and are doing a bunch of testing (speed, acceleration, etc), you might want to send that insurance vehicle tracker back until you get things resolved and then restart the program. I know a guy who drove kind of like a maniac and his insurance company dropped him after he did a similar program. I did such program a couple years ago with my insurance company ...drove nice and conservitively (I don't drive like a maniac anyway), and received a nice discount. It's a really good program if you have vehicles you don't drive all that much.

But if I were troubleshooting driveability problems, I'd be tempted to explain the situation to the ins company and get things resolved before proceeding. Or, tackle the engine issues after the program was complete.

Last edited by Mark G; 07-14-2017 at 10:45 AM.