Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1997 Disc No Fuel Ways to test fuel pump etc?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:19 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Disc No Fuel Ways to test fuel pump etc?

Hey working on a 97 Disc. and it has good spark but not fuel. I check for fuel at the fuel rail via the schrader valve. I checked the FP fuse and it was ok. I can't hear the FP run and I was wondering is there a way to test it ex. via a FP relay or ?. I am not sure if this Disc. has a FP relay.
Any tips would be appreciated. It ran fine 2 weeks ago but sat for 2 weeks and we put fresh gas in it but still won't start. I am thinking the FP might be frozen or stuck.

Is the FP in the fuel tank? Thanks.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can run a hot wire to the pump and see if it comes on.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stuck a test light into the power slot on the plug, had a friend turn the key and it light right up. Determined that it was the pump and not something along the way. Yes the fuel pump is in the tank. If you pull back the carpet in the rear their is an access door to the top of the tank where the pump is located. That is where the plug is that I tested.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you downloaded the RAVE?

I has a complete electrical t/s manual in it.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And in the RAVE you will find pix of the fuel pump relay, K119, etc. and diagram of all the fuses that can be involved. Also, there is a fuel cutoff inertia switch near the washer tank under the bonnet (Britspeak), push down to reset.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:01 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

Got the RAVE.

Can anyone tell me what color the wires are that bring 12V to the Fuel Pump? I couldn't find it in the RAVE. My plan is to test for 12V at the pump and then put 12V to the pump to test it but want to make sure I put 12V to the right connector?

Last edited by twilightcall; 07-19-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:24 AM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can check for voltage at the Blue/Purple striped wire. This wire starts at the main fuel pump relay and connects to ECU Connection A ( Large Black connector) Pin #24.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Our Common Language

Originally Posted by LRD2&ME
You can check for voltage at the Blue/Purple striped wire. This wire starts at the main fuel pump relay and connects to ECU Connection A ( Large Black connector) Pin #24.
"One small step for man, one..... giant leap for mankind."

WOOO HOOO Bro!! Been studying I see... very cool.

p.s. good to see you stuck around.

To OP... Since you have the Rave you can find the exact location of your FP relay. Section 86 of the Morkshop Manual or view 207 of the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (section Z5 page 52). Check your relay if you don't have power back at connection on top of the pump assembly... not just listening for a click. Even a bad ralay can click. I assume you have a multi meter (test light is great too)?

How about the fuel filter age? IF the pump is "running" it has power but still may not be any good, replacce the filter next. Just for fun check the fuel lines as they run forward for any crimping. At the age of your rig though, fuel pump going bad is fairly common.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am chiming in on this discussion mostly because of one reason - I never hear/heard my fuel pump running - Maybe my ears are finally dulling out with the years of loud guitar playing, but for the life of me, and even my daughter, we couldn't hear that familiar "whine" as I've heard in other vehicles. We even stuck our ears down to the pump top and couldn't hear it. - If you are accustomed to hearing it and it is no longer making noise as it used to, then the probability of a dead pump is higher. However, if you've never heard it, I wouldn't necessarily think it wasn't working. I would get a fuel pressure test kit and test at the pump level -
I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago. Took the family to church, then after church the disco ran for a couple minutes and died in the parking lot.
So I got her home, got the fuel pressure test kit, and connected her up. Pressure was pressent at the fuel pump, but not at the rail - Turn out it was the "fuel filter" - I pulled the old filter and sure enough, I couldn't even blow air through it.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-filter-42057/

Just a thought on the possible direction you might take in troubleshooting the issue.

In Peace and Agape,
Trav...