Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1998 Disco no spark issues

Old 09-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

If you have a copy of the Rave you can find it on your vehicle and describe it to the dude at the bone yard....... The device number is Z163 in the Rave - Component Location View will show you exactly where with a picture.

Basically it's under the dash behind the glovebox and it has an olive green plastic cover. Hard to miss........ You have to remove the fiber sound deadener from under the dash.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the ECM and Alarm Module shipped out yesterday. I will post results......fingers crossed!

Old 09-17-2014, 09:08 AM
Three Wheeling

Need some help while I am waiting for parts. This discovery is missing several vacuum lines. Seems like everytime I look at it I see a different line missing. I have not been able to find anything showing the routing on all the lines. Can someone post it? Also the RAVE downloads I have found will not let me download (says it has a virus). Is there another link to a safe download?

Old 09-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok I got the ECM and Alarm ECM and still not spark from the coils! Now what?

Old 09-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Three Wheeling

Checked the plug to the brandnew crank sensor as well. How could it be installed wrong?

Old 09-18-2014, 03:34 PM
Three Wheeling

Check these ground locations:
  • Right inner fender, behind the battery. Battery and EMC on 1994 & 1995 models.
  • Below the battery, inside the right frame rail. Battery ground.
  • Right of the left cylinder head. ECU, A/C compressor clutch on 1994 & 1995 models.
  • Right frame rail, inside the wheel well. Starter.
  • Left footwell, behind trim panel. ECM, key switch, radio, OBDII data link.
  • Right footwell, behind trim panel. Starter solenoid relay, park-neutral position switch, alarm, data link connector.
  • Left side of luggage compartment, behind access panel for taillights, above light assembly. Fuel pump, fuel level sensor.
I am going to try this. Does anyone have more specific info on the locations?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

When you installed the boxes did you disconnect the battery? If so did you push down the hood switch when reconnecting the battery? The alarm light is on the dash is it flashing or is it extinguished?

Checking the grounds is fine as long as your following the Rave. While your at it what condition are the wires to the crank sensor look like, any look melted, without insulation? Remove the crank sensor and see if they're any marks on the sensor face, like if it the crank's triggers are touching it. Check to see if a spacer is installed. It's a huge pita to remove/reinstall but worth knowing. You now replaced the two main boxes with (hopefully good ones) so it's time to trace circuits.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Big discovery tonight. On a hunch I pulled a plug and held it against the motor while the wife turned the motor over (in the dark). I am getting spark but it is very weak. So what is causing it? I ran a jumper from the positive on the battery to the red wire on the coil and it didn't fix anything. This has to be a big discovery!!! HELP!!!

Old 09-18-2014, 11:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Put a light to ground and tested each wire at the coil plug by probing the back and the all acted the same. Only differense was the red wire dimed a small amount and the others brightened a small amount as the motor was turning over. I have something going on at the coil/ECM? What do you think? I also cut one wire and straight wired it from the ECM to the coil and it didn't change anything. What in the world is going on here?

Old 09-18-2014, 11:50 PM
Three Wheeling

The alarm light is off. If I lock the doors it goes through a sequence and then blinks. Once I unlock it, it goes completely out and stays out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 Disco no spark issues