Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1998 Discovery Starter clicks

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All good information, thanks everybody. The wife treated me to Japanese Steakhouse last night, so clearly, I did not get to the installation. I will be putting it on tonight.

In regards to the solenoid; Yes, I agree. Its likely just the solenoid because the plunger/gear/motor works a-okay when given a live feed via jumper. It is the solenoid that was clicking.

Honestly, Ive never really thought about only changing out the solenoid. I figure for the time and effort of getting in there, I might as well swap the whole unit.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Overlanding

Good morning,

So I was able to get the NAPA re-manufactured starter unit on last night without any troubles. 2 bolts and 1 nut, double checked the wires and grounds, reattached the battery cables and vroom! She started right up. Sounds so pretty and nice!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:24 PM
1st Gear
Default 97 range rover starter is clicking

I have a 97 range rover and it was running fine then I shut it off then now the starter is clicking bought a new one and still nothing
Originally Posted by 1998DiscoverySE
Okay, Good afternoon everybody...

I have just a quick one to run by yall.....

So I did a front brake job last Wednesday and went to take her for a spin... I get in, turn the key and hear the starter give a single click. I got under her and beat the starter with a hammer and still, just a click.

Okay, I leave the ignition in the "On" position and run a jumper from the battery to the starter solenoid and she starts right up. That evening she starts and stops a few times without any problems. The next day, she starts and stops again around the house okay so I take her for a drive and come back home. Now the starter just clicks again. I was once again able to get the starter to actuate via a jumper wire to the solenoid but afeter turning her off, she will not start via the igniton switch anymore.

This has got to be a straightforward starter problem, right? Well, starter or solenoid, Im gonna replace the entire starter unit but thought Id throw it out there for any words of wisdom before going for it.

What say you, good people?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

You check your battery? You might have a dead battery causing a rapid click when trying to crank. The dead battery could be the result of a bad alternator.