Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'95 D1 Not Starting

Old 11-27-2016, 06:51 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 D1 Not Starting

Hello all,

I recently have had issues occasionally with my disco not starting. Sometimes it'll crank over and start, no problem. Other times, it'll crank, but won't start or even sputter as if it were going to start. Usually a quick shot of starting fluid and she starts up just fine and runs normally. Today, I replaced my plug wires because they were a little old and worn. Now, it won't start at all. Tried starting fluid, made sure they firing order was correct and the plugs were completely in, nothing, no starting, no sputtering. I was wondering if any of you had any idea what I need to do to get her starting and running again.

Thank you

Old 11-27-2016, 08:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Try cracking the throttle open a little when starting (with your foot on the gas pedal). Check your fuel pump pressure, closer to 40psi the better. They don't like colder weather, they'll run differently than in warm weather. Sometimes it'll start by letting the fuel pump run until it times out and then repeat once more before starting. Keep the PCV clean and check the intake manifold bolts often for tightness. Put your old plug wires back on and try again.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

2x on all that ih said and if you are getting fuel then check for "GOOD" spark....take the dist. cap off and check for burnt or bad contacts with the rotor and plug wire terminals, also cold weather can turn a marginal coil into a bad one.....

Old 12-03-2016, 02:55 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just a quick update. It has been starting fine the last few times I've tried starting it so I don't think it's the wires. Occasionally though, when I unlock the doors, the alarm will go off. Could the crank but no start be the immobilizer acting up or would that prevent from a crank at all? I've checked the fuel and it is getting fuel, I did some of the diagnostics from the rave and everything seems to check out on the coil.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

If you don't think you want the alarm anymore there's a sticky posted by Paul Grant on how to remove it. As for the alarm going off when unlocking I think it's the driver's door switch needing attention. A way around the door switch is by buying a two button fob (off fleabay) and programming it yourself, it's explained in the Rave.