Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

95 Disco I 3.9 to 300D Turbo Diesel Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I am pretty sure a lift and adjustment of the spring stops will be necessary to clear the oil pan and keep it safe.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
jack adapter like this?
Is that the same as

Attached Thumbnails 95 Disco I 3.9 to 300D Turbo Diesel Conversion-r380_hoist_adapter.jpg  
Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Mudding

6.2 GM...uh... yeah I will not be using that engine EVER... hmmm after looking at it. may work for someone else looking to gain 2 MPG if that. I am looking forward to about 32-38mpg said and done.

Last edited by raeuspius; 07-25-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I am pretty sure a lift and adjustment of the spring stops will be necessary to clear the oil pan and keep it safe.
If I can find one relatively cheap I will get a 3" spring kit. If not I will be modding the oil pan shape

Old 07-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

nope, it is a plate off an old transfer case, which allows you to bolt it on, and move good transfer case about with a floor jack. When done, install correct plate and fill transfer case.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Mudding
Unhappy

Originally Posted by raeuspius
Thanks for your interestand enthusiasm guys.

As far as the engine, i plan on dropping the oul pan and main cap to at very lease check clearences and condition of rod bearings. I drove the DONER from st petersburg to spring hill over heated but lost no fluid and blew no white smoke. I may do the head gasket. And i will do compression. I need a water pump and a fan clutch for the doner motor as well. At 300k on the motor, i consider just broke in. I am confident no major damage has been sustained from previous over heating as definately runs quiet, strong and very smooth at 3000rpm.

My biggest issue will be when time for the swap, i will be out of a vehicle as the rover is my daily driver.

More to come as i have .
Water pump still spins tight with no play from bearing. banjo passage blocked and think system needs burping. last night running to temp, top hose to radiator hot but bottom hose cold. any ideas beside flush radiator, citrus flush etc...

Just working on the overheating issue before I go further as I may need to do a total rebuild IO can do it but cost and time is crap.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by kentworks
I have an OM617 from an 85 300D, and I would dearly love to stick it in Disco 1 with R380.... however, all the swaps I have heard of use the auto transmission.... I am waiting for somebody to successfully do this with the R380 and hear about the challenges.
In my mind, the major challenge is not the adapter plate, or the oil pan, but is the flywheel and clutch. If one uses a Mercedes flywheel (from a 240D) then how do you mount the Rover clutch onto it (perfectly centered, etc)? Of if you use a Rover flywheel, how do you overcome the totally miss-matched hole pattern?

Another challenge for me would be the A/C compressor. It will not fit in the stock Mercedes location because of the Rover steering box. Perhaps it could be moved over by the alternator?
Hi kentworks, glad to have you aboard the journey. Until now, my laptop was down and all my previous correspondence was from my phone and it was difficult to see who i was replying to and I had to be brief.

I will most likely put the two MB and LR flywheels together, tack a weld, drill it out appropriately then go to my trusted machinist Ed at Accurate machine and then have the now one flywheel balanced. I figure the flywheel will make up the final value for the thickness of the spacer / adapter plate. As stated before I won't know for sure until I have both flywheels in my hand.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Mudding

Hi Charlie_V. Nice to have you in the conversation One of the challenges is the vacuum pump. I have two ports atop of my pump and one line is broke and there is no visible indication as to where it goes. I also turn the key off and have to push the STOP lever. I have no breaks and I get over boost slightly. The rocker or pivot point on the firewall is severely worn and needless to say, there is not reasonable reference from pedal position to actual throttle actuation. I have been waiting to fix my AC in the rover until the conversion is over. Leaky hose, Dryer and the evac/fill cost. Certainly not worth it as I have AC in rear. 8 ft of line and another evap coil. maybe about 5 lbs of oil and r34A ...? WE WILL SEE. Enjoy the ride. Glad to have you along.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:54 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
nope, it is a plate off an old transfer case, which allows you to bolt it on, and move good transfer case about with a floor jack. When done, install correct plate and fill transfer case.
That makes perfect sense to me. That would work for me for the xfer case. What is the weight on one anyway? I loved Savannah for 8 months I was there. Wet *****'s ROCKS.lol. Nice to have you along as well.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Mudding
Thumbs up UPDATED Over Heating Issue Resolved.

The over heating issue on my OM627 is resolved!!!. Banjo flow tube from water pump housing to head was clogged. Filled donor engine while running and burped or bled air out of system. Ran for 3 hours and drove a few miles and barely saw fuel gauge move. Still need Fan Clutch. I must state that I am impressed with the cast impeller on the water pump MB designed. It is like a Turbine. Water pump very well built. I did find a bit of corrosion at the hose connection on the housing though.. Dremmel action.

So now I can move forward with ripping out the donor motor. Will post pics and a vid on my youtube channel. I will try not to stammer and pause. I will script the dialogue. I am not very good at public speaking. Tomorrow and Sunday will be labor times of the rip out.

Then I will document any need for lower end repair. Connecting Rod bearings, main and rings. If necessary I will dissect the OM617 to do the head Gasket. I will be posting pics and findings of the oil pan and sump coloration.

Attached Thumbnails 95 Disco I 3.9 to 300D Turbo Diesel Conversion-impeller.jpg  

Quick Reply: 95 Disco I 3.9 to 300D Turbo Diesel Conversion