Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'95 Won't start after dying while driving....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 12:27 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 Won't start after dying while driving....HELP

We bought this Disco in Nov 2015.
165,000 odo.
3.9 L
Automatic
One owner and came with a handy stack of maintenance documents since 1995.

Immediately had a problem of dying in cold weather if I drove it before thermostat showed engine warmed up. If it died, I would have to wait 15 min. to start it again. Research here and other places led us to figuring this is a ICV/stepper motor issue. We cleaned it but did not replace it having read we would need a calibrator to set the idle once installed. We did replace a few days ago while addressing this no-start issue after reading that we did not need a calibrator.

3 mo. back the fuel pump went out and we replaced it (wonderfully easy). I drove it to/from work for 4 days (est. total of 40 miles) when it started randomly running rough. On the way home one day, it was running ok - not acting funny or anything, but I turned a corner and it went dead. I was able to coast off road, but it never restarted. Have spark and pressure to the fuel rail, even with use of starting fluid, it won't fire.

What we have done:
- replaced fuel filter
- replaced coil
- replaced stepper motor
- replaced fuel pump rely (one under the hood)
- replaced all the smaller fuses located under the hood
- checked alarm system (ran through the security system test recommended in forums and in our repair book)

Worth mentioning:
- I did drive the Disco for about 30 miles without resetting the security system code into the radio.
- VIN and title state it is a 1995 but the door panel says 1994. Has anyone run across this?

Codes: can't read any - the onboard diagnostic appears to be not working. Not getting any signs of life after following steps recommended to reset it (unplugging, etc).

I have an appointment to have it looked at in 2 weeks but I would love to get it going before that as it it is my main transportation. Saving money is a priority as well - hate to shell out hundreds for diagnosis and labor if I can avoid it.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

First, do you have a copy of the Rave, if not it's in the Tech Section. Second, you may have fuel and you may have spark but if the two are not in sync the motor will never fire. Third, if you've never set the base idle everything else is moot that's wrong. Fourth, have you ever owned a distributor sparked vehicle, cap and rotor are always more important than anything else including the carbon build up and tracking they acquire. Fifth, very common for these to be built months earlier for the next years model, they are coming from England after all. The code reader is for the fuel injection, it won't give you a weather report in Tahiti. Sixth, 165k on a distributor is allot of wear, you may want to invest in a rebuilt or aftermarket.

Here's a website with information you should become very familiar with; Lucas 14CUX Fuel Injection System ? Installation and Diagnostic Notes. - ACT Performance Products - your source for after market TVR upgrades, components and performance accessories.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:31 PM
3rd Gear

Thank you for your response.

1) yes I have the RAVE
2) could you elaborate on this point about fuel and spark being in-sync?
3) Cannot set base idle since Rover has not started since it was replaced.
4) Yes have owned many (13 IH Scouts among many others). Cap, rotor, and wires look newer. Vehicle was meticulously maintained by first owner with many parts replaced when needed.
5) NA
6) See above

Old 11-25-2016, 07:08 PM
Camel Trophy

LOL........ and welcome. They don't come any simpler than a Scout except for a Model T.

I have to know what you know otherwise we'll be running in circles. These are not in any order, just general questions to find out what and where you are.

1. Have you checked fuses?
2. Have you checked the distributor for rotation?
3. Have you static timed the motor?
4. Are plugs wet from fuel?
5. Do you still own a timing light and tach?
6. Have you unplugged the Mass Air Flow Sensor?
7. Did the ECU display work when initially bought?
8. Have you checked (pushed) the Inertia Fuel Shutoff Switch?
9. Have you performed the Lucas Constant Energy Ignition System tests?

Sync - If the timing chain broke. The radio alarm code doesn't effect the ignition system, it just means the radio isn't protected by the alarm.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:06 AM
3rd Gear

Have done some of these but not all. Looking at info on the Lucas Constant Energy Ignition system test and checking the timing chain. Will post results once I look work through your list. Thank you.

Q: have not set the idle on the stepper motor because Rover has not started since replaced. Will this be a problem? Wondering if I should just put the old one back in until I resolve the starting issue, then reinstall the new one when I can set idle.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:28 PM
Camel Trophy

If it doesn't start with ether..... I've started diesel tractors in 20*F weather with just ether (not recommended). Putting the original by-pass air valve in probably won't effect anything at this point but you never know.