Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 takes gas so slow

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 05:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 98 takes gas so slow

Standing there today in 15 degrees with 9 degree wind chill for 20 minutes dribbling gas slowly into my Disco and freezing my butt off, I was wondering what it would take to get rid of the big brother anti-evap system that won't let me put gas in the truck at a reasonable rate. I've done the gas treatment and carb cleaner down the vent tubes several times (a whole bottle of gas treatment the first time) and it still won't take gas except at the lowest rate a new gas pump will allow, and I can't even put gas in at older pumps that fill too fast causing them continually shut off. Is there an easy way to get rid of this big brother system? Or even a not so easy way? This is really annoying.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Do a search for "fuel vent" and you'll get all the information you need. It is your vent line. You gotta poke your head under there.

We've had several mornings of -20 to -26 so I don't feel pain for your 15. That would feel like Sarasota in June to me. As soon as the truck starts moving the windows ice up inside, can only use the floor heat at medium temp.

Good luck with the vent line, it can be a bunch of fun.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I know this sounds obserd but mine was fixed when I replaced the bad ael fuel sender

Old 02-27-2015, 08:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Default advanced evap not venting

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Do a search for "fuel vent" and you'll get all the information you need. It is your vent line. You gotta poke your head under there.

We've had several mornings of -20 to -26 so I don't feel pain for your 15. That would feel like Sarasota in June to me. As soon as the truck starts moving the windows ice up inside, can only use the floor heat at medium temp.

Good luck with the vent line, it can be a bunch of fun.
I found some threads about fuel vent hose size but they appear to be for pre 97 non-advanced evap trucks. I seem to remember someone (Tom?) trying to blow the vent hoses out with compressed air and blowing up his charcoal canister. Any suggestions beyond injector cleaner down the little tubes? Any way to get rid of advanced evap altogether? In the mean time I'll keep looking.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TOM R
I know this sounds obserd but mine was fixed when I replaced the bad ael fuel sender

???!!! Is this tank vent system electrically controlled?

Old 02-27-2015, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

There is a pressure sensor purge valve is under the hood by charcoal box

The more accepted fix is the vent line is clogged between tank and filler neck, this is what scouts refers to check it out cheap easy

If you wade through my build thread there's lots of pics and stuff, explinations links etc.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:25 PM
Rock Crawling

There is a pressure sensor purge valve is under the hood by charcoal box. The more accepted fix is the vent line is clogged between tank and filler neck, this is what scouts refers to check it out cheap easy. If you wade through my build thread there's lots of pics and stuff, explinations links etc.
Thanks, Tom, I'll take a look - too much snow today to do much outside anyhow.

Another thought - Any problem with pushing a length of heavy weed-wacker line down the vent tubes? (I use that for the drain lines in my Jag XJ6 filler caps, but then I know there are no valves in those lines.) These vent tubes look like they might be just the right diameter for mud daubers if someone left the cap off sometime. Those little buggers love to fill up the ground pin holes on my extension cords if I forget to plug the ends together.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Don't see why not, you live in salt land?

Old 03-01-2015, 10:09 AM
Rock Crawling

Don't see why not, you live in salt land?
I live out in the sticks where they sand some of the hills but seldom use salt. One of the advantages of being an old fart is not having to drive into the city to work anymore, so I avoid the salty streets. Northwest Arklansas doesn't usually get a lot of snow, but we do get some pretty heavy ice storms from year to year - sometimes with power out for a week at a time - but this year has been fairly mild so far. That said I need to get out and shovel the snow off the deck over my "new" garage so the predicted coming rain/sleet doesn't build up and drip inside.

Attached Thumbnails 98 takes gas so slow-100_0139.jpg   98 takes gas so slow-100_0136.jpg  
Old 03-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Rock Crawling

I pushed some heavy trimmer line down the vent tubes today and the inboard one took about 27 inches but the outboard one only took 14 inches before hitting some kind of stop.

Quick Reply: 98 takes gas so slow