Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Is a 98 worth it for a DD/Long road trip car

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 08:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a 98 worth it for a DD/Long road trip car

In high school i drove a 98 D1 and really liked it, I took it everywhere and never really had any issues with it. Since then I bought an 2000 f250 diesel, however its now nearing 400k miles and it getting close to needing a lot of work done to it. Id like to go back to the D1, my dad has had it since new, its a bit beat up from siblings driving it but nothing not fixable. I think it would be a cool vehicle to do a build but i am concerned on its reliability due to its age. I do quite a bit of highway driving (anywhere from 1-5 hrs) sometimes pulling a ski boat (2000#) max. So i am just wondering if the D1 in question has 190,000 on it now is the motor nearing the end of its life or can it keep going. If not how much would parts for a rebuild be? Obviously there are other things that could go wrong but the motor is my main concern. Thanks! Also no longer 16 as my signature suggests-Young and dumb.

Last edited by deer4011; 01-03-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

With the miles you plan on driving, I'd honestly say to look for something else other than an older Land Rover that has lower miles, way better fuel economy and won't break down when backing out of your driveway.

I still love Land Rovers though!

Last edited by JUKE179r; 01-04-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:39 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
With the miles you plan on driving, I'd honestly say to look for something else other than an older Land Rover that has lower miles, way better fuel economy and won't break down when backing out of your driveway.

I still love Land Rovers though!
Agreed. And I believe you could use the same quote about almost any 19 year old vehicle.

Sensors get old, wiring insulation dries out, gaskets harden, and of course a bit of rust here and there are pretty common, even in the best kept trucks.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I would look at it this way. What is the budget? If you have little to no budget for getting a DD truck one that is paid off and you can put parts and sweat equity into it is a no brainer.

I will say this, the Discovery just like the F250 is going to need maintenance. Parts are going to be expensive no matter which way you go. So it just boils down to which you would prefer to put money and sweat into.

So pick the one that you enjoy more and feel is the right choice for you.

That being said I prefer my 18 year old Expedition for road trips

Old 01-04-2017, 09:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

Expeditions were amazing vehicles and great for road trips! plenty of room, and not bad mpg for a large vehicle. I love my D1 but I'd take an Expedition in a heartbeat.

You may want something with a longer wheelbase for towing (just my opinion) and 190,000 miles, it is probably due for some work too.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

D1's are tough as nails. Don't listen to us, we all have PTSD from owning D2's

Better the devil you know than the one you don't. If the d1 has remainined in your family then you already have a head start. The main thing with the d1 is rust. If it's clean and rust free you could always swap a Chevy engine into it and call it good if you're worried about engine longevity.

I have 250k on my 4.2, 210k on my D1 and 150k on my D2. There's no reason why you can't keep a d1 on the road as long as you're comfortable wrenching on it.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

Like I said, love my D1 and except for the occasional wrenching part, I have to fight with my son as he usually takes it when he has to drive anywhere. I use it daily to drive to work and back, about 80+ miles per day. Only time it left me stranded was when the brake light switch went bad, ruptured a coolant tank (off roading), and lost the tread off a tire. Both just minor inconveniences Has new tires, new coolant tank and an extra brake switch now.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
D1's are tough as nails. Don't listen to us, we all have PTSD from owning D2's
I had a '98 D1 SE-7 S-Reg in England and had waaaay more problems with it back in '02 than I've had with my '01 D2.
The D1 I had leaking sunroofs, cracked exhaust manifolds, cracked rear hinge and drooping rear door, dry rotted and cracked window seals that leaked, dash board coming unglued, seat controls breaking constantly, overheating.... I can go on...

Old 01-04-2017, 08:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for everyones input, it is good getting different opinions on the matter. I need to weigh my options between both cars. Obviously the truck is worth more but with it being a diesel and injector job alone would cost more than an engine rebuild on the D1 even if i did it myself. I may run some simple tests on the D1 engine and go from there. This is just one of those things.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
I had a '98 D1 SE-7 S-Reg in England and had waaaay more problems with it back in '02 than I've had with my '01 D2.
The D1 I had leaking sunroofs, cracked exhaust manifolds, cracked rear hinge and drooping rear door, dry rotted and cracked window seals that leaked, dash board coming unglued, seat controls breaking constantly, overheating.... I can go on...
Mall of the problems you mention above, can also be considered staples of the D2 as well.

It's way harder to overheat a D1 than a D2. Whoever designed the D2 cooling system and hose routing was a compelte imbecile. At least your 01 didn't have the oil cooler removed for cost savings.

Quick Reply: Is a 98 worth it for a DD/Long road trip car