Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Aarrgh! A rock to the windshield!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 11:26 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Aarrgh! A rock to the windshield!!

I guess I forgot to turn on the "force field" - a semi sent me a little present to the center lower and the 4 legs of the crack spread out quick!

The question though, are the "finishers" a structural necessity to work with the urethane or are they a "looks" thing? Any "less expensive" options for windshield replacement? Russ

Old 09-23-2015, 03:37 PM
Mudding

On a humorous note, I watched a Youtube clip of what looked like a glass shop replacing the windshield and really struggling (I was watching without sound here at work). He had removed the hood for the job, and I cringed when he stood up on the plenum to wrestle with the finisher, but the real kicker was the end where he took out a hatchet and started attacking the glass to get it to break to remove it!
Russ

Old 09-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I bought a new windshield for my Disco, but haven't put it in yet. I'm waiting until I go to paint the roof. The glass wasn't that expensive though, like $120 for the glass only (several years ago). I bought it outright from an autoglass shop, partly because I've seen (and been a victim) of some very crappy auto glass installation jobs, and installing glass usually is pretty straight forward (I used to work at a bodyshop and we installed glass all the time). When I bought the new glass, I went with a non-shaded windshield across the top because the Disco 1 windshields sit SO low, the current shaded part is always in my line of view, which sort of sucks. Ya might have to buy a new gasket, which isn't cheap.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:43 PM
Mudding

Good point on the "non-tint", I'm 6'3" anyway, so that band of darkness would just annoy me. The glass price is in line with most, but the doggone "finisher" pricing is enough to slow me down on replaceing. Luckily, the cracks are still centered... Russ

Old 10-08-2015, 11:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations, you are about to fix a leak point! the OEM glue was so full of air pockets the original mastic is like a sponge. water seeps right in.

2.get full coverage insuramce with glass protection
3. replace finishers and glass via deductable