Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Am I on the right track with P1316 code?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 10:17 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Look for good write ups on this forum using the search function and browsing the tech section. Nothing you've described sounds terminal or even points to one of the 'big jobs' like head gaskets. However we obviously aren't looking at the truck and there may be real warnings signs in the form of fluid accumulations in specific areas.

Replace suspect hoses and change fluids which you have not already.
A used MAF is a good way to go generally. Look for guys who part out trucks such as Paul Grant, and Abran Abeyta for suitable used replacements. Ebay is another source.

For brake parts check out (in no particular order) bputah, Lucky8llc, roverparts (British Atlantic, and Roversnorth. They can all do a good job at reasonable prices but some may have a slight edge over others for specific items.

Use youtube as another resource. There are many videos demonstrating the processes.

Last edited by WaltNYC; 11-12-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks brother. Have done a bunch of digging around here and online. Have the RAVE. Have some prior wrenching experience, so I think once I figure out some of the Rover weirdness I may be all good.

Again... NO dis to JC's British. They're good people best I can tell, and I don't think they're trying to rip me off or anything. I can see in the future having them do some work for me. Just not this particular maintenance type stuff.

I appreciate all you guys on here and your VAST knowledge!

Old 11-14-2015, 08:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

We like to share, Rovers honestly aren't that difficult once the logic starts to kick in. They're by far not easy to figure out straight out of the box (electrically). I, like you, came from a background of American born off road vehicles. It took me two years to figure out why Rover did what they did to make these work. I'm now a solid owner for eight years with one truck and it's never let me down through thick and thin........ even through our crappy economy. My next one will have to come from out West because there's not that many left here in the rust belt worth a hoot. More patches than a WWII vet wearing a VFW vest.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:34 AM
Mudding

Update.

I got the replacement MAF and lower radiator hose from eBay last night. I'm cautiously optimistic... wait... super nervous that the MAF might not solve my running issue. Hope it does bc I don't know what else to do after that.

Once started, the truck does run fine with the current MAF unplugged. So there's that.

When I get the radiator hose in, it SHOULD be driveable enough to work it out --- I think. Then plenty of other broken things to address.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:20 AM
Mudding

Aw heck. I don't even want to post results after swapping in the good MAF. 'Fraid I might jinx it. Let's just say... smooth as a baby's butt.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Rover God's say,

SMITE!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2015, 10:48 AM
Mudding

Small victories! Got 'er to pass emissions in Colorado today. So... now I guess i'm stuck with her.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:54 AM
Camel Trophy

That's great news. Finally, no more whining!

Old 12-19-2015, 10:58 AM
Mudding

You wish.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:19 AM
Camel Trophy

Oh boy, I figured as much.......

Isn't it cool when you finally SOLVE a problem with these? Pretty soon you run out of things to do....... no more excitement. Then it's on to lifts, engine mods and suspension upgrades and then you sell it like Shifty and buy more Rovers that confuse you.

Quick Reply: Am I on the right track with P1316 code?