Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Anyone else messed around with plasti dip?

Old 06-29-2016, 10:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone else messed around with plasti dip?

My hood and roof are baked and this thing isn't worth respraying so I decided to fool around with plasti dip. I did my hood with the camo brown and it turned out surprisingly well. Given the condition of my roof, rear door and much of the body, I'm probably going to dip the entire thing this week. I considered paint but it wouldn't be worth doing unless I did the body work too, and that ain't going to happen, it's simply not worth the cost and effort. Anyway I'll post pictures when I'm done but was curious if anyone else has used this stuff?

Old 06-29-2016, 10:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

No but I'm interested to see how yours comes out.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:14 AM
Rock Crawling

Im going to pick up a grille and fender tomorrow (fiancée met a guard rail in the snow trying to dodge a BMW). I'm hoping to get them on by tomorrow evening and then I can start painting. The hood I think needs one more coat after I looked at it closer, there are a few spots on the very edge I was a little light on. Anyway I'll take some pics, if the rest turns out like the hood I'll be happy with it. It's doo doo brown but it looks pretty cool, certainly better than baked black.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Mine's starting to give up too, doesn't look real presentable. Curious to see how it goes on for ya.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The thing that most people mess up with plastidip is not putting it on thick enough with wet edges. You're going to need 5-6 layers thick.

There's a ****load of videos on YouTube from dipyourcar.com that will tell you everything you need to know. If you follow their instructions and do it right, it's hard to tell plastidip from paint, especially if you use their mixes and pearls.

It's super easy, just follow their instructional videos. Anyone who complains about plastidip did it wrong.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Picked up the fender and grille today but hit a snag with the plasti dip. I can't locate enough of it locally to do the whole vehicle so I have to order it. Hoping to have it on my doorstep by the beginning of next week so I can get this thing sprayed.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Pep boys by the gallon, I did my lr3 wheels, be sure your stuffs clean and spray heavy coats, it self levels unless you really screw up

Army rover has a car he dips alot

Old 07-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 66 Likes on 63 Posts

I did my rims a few weeks ago.
I used a can per rim, and I like the results. Yes do clean and completely have everything dry.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone else messed around with plasti dip?-img_20160630_103746.jpg   Anyone else messed around with plasti dip?-img_20160630_103754.jpg   Anyone else messed around with plasti dip?-img_20160630_103808.jpg  
Old 07-02-2016, 06:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994
My hood and roof are baked and this thing isn't worth respraying so I decided to fool around with plasti dip. I did my hood with the camo brown and it turned out surprisingly well. Given the condition of my roof, rear door and much of the body, I'm probably going to dip the entire thing this week. I considered paint but it wouldn't be worth doing unless I did the body work too, and that ain't going to happen, it's simply not worth the cost and effort. Anyway I'll post pictures when I'm done but was curious if anyone else has used this stuff?
I had a couple of cans of it and my son and I cleaned and painted the wheels on my Disco II with plastic dip (matte black) a couple of years ago. . I figured it would last about a week. It is still on them and looks great. I think the stuff is amazing.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:35 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used it on the hood of my D1 instead of a vinyl wrap or sticker, worked out very well. I used .25 wide pin stripping tape to hold down the edges, I've pressure washed it several times since application and still holding like new. And if you get tired of it just peel it off for less than $25 bucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else messed around with plasti dip?