Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Automatic Shifter Knob inquery

Old 06-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Automatic Shifter **** inquery

Just purchased new components for my shifter and now I'm stumped on how to assemble them together properly. I'm not even 100% sure if I have all the needed parts. Would anyone be willing to provide pictures or detailed instructions on how to properly install these parts?

Here are the new parts
Name:  IMAG0236.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  24.3 KB

Here's the shifter as is when I got the landy. When I want to change gears I have to use my fingers to lift up the metal rod Inside and pull or push the shifter to the corresponding gear. I want to use the button to shift gears smoothly!
Name:  IMAG0246.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  64.5 KB

Old 06-09-2011, 05:21 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowMerchantBC
I want to use the button to shift gears smoothly!
You're so demanding.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just wondering, did you actually pay some one real money for this disaster you call a Discovery or did he pay you to take it away?

If you gave more than 20 bucks for it, you overpaid based upon all the surprises you have sprung on us lately.

Was it the only vehicle available in your neck of the woods?

Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

spring goes in the hole to the right.
push button goes in, with notch up

To quote part of the TSB:
"If the old "E" clip is missing and the gear selector shaft is locked in position, grab the top of the gear selector shaft with your fingers or a pair of pliers and pull up. With the shaft raised, move the gear selector lever between Park and Reverse."

that half cylinder lookin' thing "the cam" goes in the notch, curved side down.
Clip goes on top of that to hold everything.

i'm not sure what those o-rings or washer or whatever are for.

Shifter Removal - Land Rover and Range Rover Forums

Old 06-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Just wondering, did you actually pay some one real money for this disaster you call a Discovery or did he pay you to take it away?

If you gave more than 20 bucks for it, you overpaid based upon all the surprises you have sprung on us lately.

Was it the only vehicle available in your neck of the woods?
When I sold my jeep i was looking for a used bmw or a beloved Audi A4 quattro. At the time I knew absolutely nothing about Land Rover. I found an add on craigslist for this Land Rover Discovery, and was surprised when I learned that the owner lived afew miles from my residence at the time. Originally he wanted $1000 for the Landy, but upon meeting he admitted that the truck needed more work than he realized, so he lowered the price to $900. At the time of purchase I knew it had a power steering leak, a bad steering damper, needed alot of cosmetic work inside and out and the the engine was old and had alot of miles on it. I took a risk. The rig barely drove at all when I got it, but over time I fixed alot of **** up so here im today. So of the issues im bringing to the table on this forum, ive known about for awhile but did not have the time to get to it for whatever reason. The truk is old, needs work and was truly neglected, but owing it has really opened my horizon in the auto mechanic world. Alot of things ive never even done before until I got this landy. It is what it is. I wish I had a better conditioned landy but right now thats not possible so I must suffice with what i have now. Maybe one day ill get lucky.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Banned

Still no luck. Im pretty sure I have it installed right, but the clip is not grabbing onto the shaft when the shifter is put back into park as directed in the installation instructions. Anyone know exactly what the shaft is called or the part number? I may need to replace it!

Old 06-09-2011, 11:04 PM

Whenever I have a question of that nature, I usually call Rovers North. I have found them to be extremely helpful and you can trust they know what they are talking about.

Glad to hear you got it for a reasonable price. Keep on keepimg on with it. You should eventually get there. It is not the destination but the travels and the people you meet along the way. Good luck. If I can help by checking with my local recycler, let me know. I plan to go there soon and take a good look at what they have on the shelves.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 06-10-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Banned

awhenever I have a question of that nature, I usually call Rovers North. I have found them to be extremely helpful and you can trust they know what they are talking about.

Glad to hear you got it for a reasonable price. Keep on keepimg on with it. You should eventually get there. It is not the destination but the travels and the people you meet along the way. Good luck. If I can help by checking with my local recycler, let me know. I plan to go there soon and take a good look at what they have on the shelves.
Thanks Danny. Could I have you check on used shafts at the recycling facility? I may need on.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned

awhenever I have a question of that nature, I usually call Rovers North. I have found them to be extremely helpful and you can trust they know what they are talking about.

Thanks once again Danny. I ended up calling RoversNorth, took about an hour and they had to go outside and take apart the shifter in there rover to figure it out - so to better describe to me the instructions. But after much patience I got the shifter successfully re-assembled and in working order. My next task is to replace the radiator and all the cooling hoses and hose clamps. Think I can get a new lifetime warranty radiator of eBay for around $300 give or take. I tho.k Roversnorth has the hoses kit for around $120 give or take.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Default Glad to hear it.

Shadow,

Glad to hear it. When I first bought my 97, I quickly gravitated to Rovers North. For a retailer selling new parts, I feel they are EXCELLENT. They have a great inventory of parts on hand, always the correct part.

They all have extensive first hand knowledge, they all own and drive a variety of LAND ROVERS, mostly the older classic ones. Even when they do not know off the top of their heads, they will find the answers you need and the parts as well, as you found out.

When I did my front hubs and brakes, I thought they had sent me the wrong part for the lock washer. They overnight mailed me the right part. It turned out I was the one who was wrong, they had sent the correct part the first time and again for free.

I have had excellent customer service from all of them, especially I like talkling to Les or Jim Smith when I have a problem or question. Their prices are very fair and excellent shipping service. They quickly became my favorite Rover Parts Supplier for new items.

They even purchased the entire Land Rover North America remaining inventory of replacements parts when they learned that LR was pulling theplug and destoying all theremaining inventory because they had no interest in continuing to maintain it any longer. Who else has gone to such length to support our ever aging Land Rovers????