Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Bleeding brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Bleeding brakes

The brakes on my D1 tend to leak a bit when the weather gets below zero, and I am sure they need some work. I am planning on going through the whole system when it gets warmer out. In the meantime, the master cylinder got low and I got some air in the lines. They will still hold pressure but it takes a pump or 2 to get a solid pedal. MC is full. Anybody that can tell me if I can get to the bleeders without removing the rims? and what size wrench it is?

Had surgery just over a week ago and I am trying to talk myself into doing this so we can at least drive it around town (less than 5 miles) until I can get it fixed. (had a total knee replacement on thursday 2/19)

I know all about the dangers of driving it like it is and I can accept the responsibility of my actions on waiting for the repair. I have no problems with replacing lines, pads, calipers, rotors, etc just don't want to sit in a snowbank to do it.
I might be able to talk my wife and son into doing the actual work with me as a technical coach if it isn't too cold.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

I've found two methods that work well to bleed the brakes.
1) Motive pressure bleeder.
2) Two man method. One person pushes and holds the brake pedal, the other person opens then closes the bleeder. Repeat.

Obviously you need to find your leak. I just had one myself that turned up in the frigid cold. The piston seals on one of my calipers were leaking. I rebuilt it in about 20 minutes with a caliper rebuild kit I had and have been good to go since.
Check your system for wet spots indicative of a brake leak.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:45 PM
Pro Wrench

Thanks for the reply. I rebuilt the front calipers on my son's 93 Cavalier last summer when I couldn't locate new calipers. And replaced front flex lines ad master cylinder which were also not looking too good. The left rear brake occasionally locks up but I am still looking for parts for that. Can't get the drum off and unless I find a replacement, I don't want to split it just yet.

Since today it is above 15 degrees, I could work on it, but without a driveway or garage, it gets tough. Add to that my knee that was replaced about a week and a half ago, I am not moving around too good. With 4 cars to drive around here, I can get by for a bit. Right now I am pretty much confined to riding in the back seat of the Astro van until my knee starts to bend a bit more.

I don't see much of a wet spot under the truck along the brake lines, or at the rear axle. might be some seepage up front but there is a lot of snow and ice right now. no puddles where it gets parked most of the time.

Just wondering if I could sneak in with a wrench and reach the bleeders without removing the tires.

Last edited by jimvw57; 03-01-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a length of clear 3/16" tubing and a water bottle, cut a hole in the cap and insert the tube to the bottom.

Loosen the bleeder valve with an 11mm box end wrench, then put the tube on it and open it with the open end of the wrench.

Have someone pump the brakes to the floor 8 times, hold it to the floor, and you tighten the valve. The bottle fills with fluid and locks the tube from sucking fluid or air back into the line. You'll see if any air comes through. Refill the reservoir and continue until no air comes through the clear line. Relieve any pressure by opening the cap or the tube may pop off the valve and make a mess.

You can get under the truck with the wheels on, but you may need to put it on jack stands.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:20 PM
Pro Wrench

11 mm , thats what I wanted to know! Have to wait for the snow to stop now. Thanks for the help!

Old 03-03-2015, 01:41 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
I've found two methods that work well to bleed the brakes.
1) Motive pressure bleeder.
2) Two man method. One person pushes and holds the brake pedal, the other person opens then closes the bleeder. Repeat.
Method 2 has always worked better for me, as long as everyone agrees on a clear set of "press/release" commands!

Old 03-05-2015, 06:46 AM
Pro Wrench

Yup, been there. seems like on the last final bleed, they always let go just before I got the bleeder tight...

Supposed to get into the mid 50's this weekend and into next week!! maybe I can get a couple of assistants and do the bleed real quick. I know it will cost me...

Last edited by jimvw57; 03-05-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Pro Wrench

Right front caliper had air, just as I figured. It is extremely nice out today, and was able to talk my son in to working the bleeder screw. 10 mm wrench (socket) is what it took to do the job. Luckily it was the front so we didn't have to pull the wheels or anything.

Brakes just about throw you through the windshield now!!

Hopefully I will be able to climb into the back seat for physical Therapy tomorrow morning...Gotta get this knee working