Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

CannibalV8 - Buyer beware

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I thought we met , I am bad with names lol

Old 03-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
I thought we met , I am bad with names lol
We sure did. Your son was my riding partner for a bit

Old 03-11-2016, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Yup my wife said that, brain is fried lol

Old 03-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

It's hell getting old and senile Tom

Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
It's hell getting old and senile Tom
Huh what who are you again, I seem to remember something about an mg lol , or ford idk

Old 03-14-2016, 07:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good morning all! In chatting with Tom yesterday, he asked that I offer an update on my dilemma. As of late last week, CannibalV8 and I have made the following agreement: It is my financial responsibility to pay all incurred shop labor rates associated with the tear-down & rebuild of my engine, as well as all sundries needed for support. Steve (CannibalV8) will source & ship any parts damaged due to the low oil pressure issue to where it is being repaired. I’m cautiously optimistic that with my commitment to foot the labor bill, and Steve’s commitment to supply the parts, this whole fiasco will soon be a fading memory, and the Disco will live once more.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Yikes. Seems he's making out pretty well. Parts are cheap, labor isn't.

Originally Posted by wrongway1
The pictures reflect what my new CannibalV8 5.0l BG Signature engine with "turnkey" installation looks like after just over 1000 miles & $12,000.00 invested. Steve Johnson personally cranked up the RPM's in front of me telling me "that's where the engine was happy", to cover the oil light & bad rebuild of the front cover. When I demanded it be repaired later that evening & the following day, he blamed it on the pressure sensor and told me not to worry about it as the pressure was good by mechanical gauge, and to put a piece of tape over the light if it bothered me; the oil pump has subsequently failed.
This makes it seem like you picked up the engine/truck right from their shop? I hate to say this but you should have never left the shop. You should have called up your credit card company right in front of him and told them to deny payment.

You're probably looking at another $1-2000 in labor I would guess, but if you're happy that's all that matters............I guess.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

they installed it , they built it, they fired the engine, engine had an issue from first start, they saw there was an issue and let the car leave

IMO parts and labor are 100% on them, if the engine at new has starved for oil I want new bearings, crank and cam checked along with checking rocker assemblies , and lifter for scoring

The metal scraped from the oil pump area went somewhere and there is no garentee the filter grabbed it all

Or basicly they just instal u a new engine again, their engine failure is their problem and for what you spent they need to make it right

Old 03-14-2016, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

You saw me beat on mine in hill climb and other spots at rotr , I built that engine in my driveway on a stand and its still going strong, nuff said

Old 03-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Yeah I just don't understand this.

I'm glad Wrongway is getting it fixed and I know that it will be fixed right but I'm surprised that he has to pay the labor. Maybe he has to pay the labor because Cannibal offered to do it but he wanted it done elsewhere, in which case the entire resolution is at least a little more understandable. Labor at its shop by Cannibal would surely be cheaper than paying for it at another shop.

But it bothers me that if a truck had a problem from the start, presumably with parts bought from Cannibal, that it wouldn't be fixed entirely at the shop's expense; again, unless the shop is not being given the opportunity to fix it. Maybe it is written in the warranty. But even if it is, it apparently left the shop that way.

Anyway, I guess everyone is reasonably happy. Except me, Tom, and maybe several other head scratchers who can actually buy new engines and have always thought of Cannibal as one of the go to suppliers when the dread day arrives. I still don't get it. Anyway, none of my business. I am only thinking out loud for my own petty, selfish, personal reasons, to wit, I may have to buy an engine someday and Cannibal has always been on a very short list of approved suppliers.

Quick Reply: CannibalV8 - Buyer beware