Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

can't shift transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default can't shift transfer case

I have a 1998 discovery and I can't shift the transfer case put of diff. Lock it's either in lo or Hi. It won't go to the right at all. Don't know if the linkage is messed up or what any advice?

Old 12-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

C4, det cord and blasting caps. . . . Lol.

Try putting it in reverse then drive. Rock her back and forth a bit, that might disengage it enough for you to slip the tc in its correct position.

Attached Thumbnails can't shift transfer case-curvylower.png  
Old 12-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Mudding

I have to rock it back and forth sometimes to shift from low to Hi but can't get it to shift to the right to unlock the differentials? So I might just have to pull the center console up and take a look and see what I find figured they might be an easier way though.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Try just going in reverse for a bit then neutral and see if it does anything. That has worked for me. Is the audible beep noise coming on? That's the tc warning chime in case something is not engaged correctly.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Mudding

Nope no lights or noise, bought from a neglectful person or changes oil once a year. Once it does engage in either lo or Hi, it bumps or thumps after you put it in either drive or reverse. Don't know if maybe the gears are worn from abuse or not would like to be able to use given the need.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:54 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

most likely to be corrosion freezing the lever. There are MANY threads about it tearing it down and lubricating. Get some PB blaster and do a search. Generally it works out for people.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

These things frequently get stuck.... pull up the gaiter and foam and spray some penetrating lube on the mechanism. Look at the RAVE for a picture of how it is all attached, there are rods connecting the lever to the diff/tcase

Fixing a Land Rover Discovery Stuck Differential Lock or Transfer Case <-- google found this for me while looking of an illustration.

when was the last time it worked?

Old 12-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Mudding

Bought it from a guy who had it sitting up for a few years claimed everything worked, just wouldn't crank. Found out later that the fuel pump relay was bad now it runs. Until the other day I never tried it, guess a wild hair huh. Will start taking it apart this weekend so I won't have no distractions from work. Will let you know what I come up with.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Yup lever frozen, sometimes its a little rusted , sometimes like mine you need to take it out and beat it apart , clean on wire wheel , reassemble

Should go into diff lock anytime no forward reverse rocking BS, the high low can be a pain cause of the solonoid

Old 12-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Mudding

Well fix one break two. Freed up the shifter took 15 minutes or so that picture really helped alot. Bad news it will go in gear or the slot for normal driving but it won't engage. If I put it in 4 Hi with the differential lock and slide it over in unlock and put it in gear it makes a loud gear grinding noise and won't budge. So is there a rebuild kit for the transfer case or might be better to find a working one and switch it out?

Quick Reply: can't shift transfer case