Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Cassette Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cassette Problems?

I recently put one of the cassettes in my truck to listen to music through my iPhone. Huge mistake! It worked great until my wife hit the eject button. After that it just kept switching from tape 1 to tape 2 and wouldn't play anything. It was stuck in tape mode. I'm not saying that will happen to everyone but, I wouldn't recommend using the cassette adapter. I had to take the radio out to fix it. I figured I would put some pictures up for anyone else who has this problem.

The first issue I came into was getting the radio out. It takes the special 5 point allen wrench. I couldn't find it anywhere. I took a small flat head and filed it down enough to turn the screws. After it was loose, it would only wiggle around. After trying for a while I decided to just pull it out. There is a small shaft that comes out of the back of the radio with a little rubber fitting that connects it to the car. It must have just been stuck because of age. I just had to pull hard enough and it came out.

After getting the radio out, I just used a knife to pull the top off. There is a small white gear in the back that raises the tape deck up to and pushes the tape out to eject it. After turning it a few times with a toothpick, it raised the tape deck up and the radio wasn't stuck in tape mode anymore! It may be possible to turn this gear without taking the radio out. I was able to see this gear through the cassette opening. I didn't have anything that would reach it tough. I hope this helps anyone who comes into the same issue!

Attached Thumbnails Cassette Problems?-dsc_0001.jpg   Cassette Problems?-dsc_0002.jpg   Cassette Problems?-dsc_0004.jpg   Cassette Problems?-dsc_0005.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
firstgeer (07-21-2016)
Old 12-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Three Wheeling

I recently got one of those. It took half an hour for it to decide to stay on one side so I could listen to anything. I am thinking of just keeping it in there forever.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Drifting

Don't even think about touching eject!

Old 12-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Oh no. Oh god no. I accidentally pressed eject!!! It came out!!!!!

Old 01-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you attempt to find the problem of why the tape wouldn't eject? Broken belt, stripped teeth, etc., or just get it out of tape mode and forget about using the cassette again? Same thing happened to me recently, I've been using an adapter like yours for 17 years til now. I'd like to have cassette mode back, so I'll try to see what needs to be fixed.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Stupid technology, that's why I stick to the 8track!

Old 01-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

I used one of those, Once. It said CLEAN HEAD or something to that effect so I ejected it. I'm thinking about getting a cassette head cleaner, running it, and trying again.
They also have those Bluetooth Cassette Adapters now which look pretty slick.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Drifting

I found that some of the teeth were broken in the back of the cassette. There really wasn't anything I could do to fix it. I couldn't find anyone who would make the repair. The wire to the cassette makes it not fit in there correctly. I believe that is the main problem with it. Then when it tries to eject, it breaks the teeth in the back on the gears.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:45 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts
Old 01-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started a new thread about repairing the likely cause of failure to eject, re-installing or replacing the drive belt in the tape transport. Very easy to do, once the unit is out. If you have no interest in fixing the cassette, this is also a better way to get the unit out of tape mode than by risking breaking off teeth on the gear by moving it manually.

Quick Reply: Cassette Problems?