Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Check engine light after brush guard install i need helppppppp

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light after brush guard install i need helppppppp

OK so i installed my new brush guard today and after the install i had a check engine light come on after i was finish i dont had a reader and im just about to lose it what do I DO plz i need help now is there a way to reset it with out a reader i really dont have the money to buy one but my father in law has one vut hes like over 200 miles away from me damn this rover grrrr btw i touched no wireing on the rover that is why im like wtf

Old 01-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. Count to 10.

2. If still mad, better make it a hundred.

3. Working on a truck when agitated invites simple mistakes and injury.

4. Any auto parts stores nearby? Most will read codes for free. Many stores will also clear codes (but some are picky about emmissions codes).

5. Bet a code reader cost a lot less than that brush guard.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Drifting

i paid 100 dollars for the guard and 1200 on tires and ya my wife i like wtf happened to it and she telling me it best be a cheap fix but im not fusterated im just like wtf all i did was unbolt the bumper trashed the recovery hook and put the guard and bolts back in ill have to go to autozone and see if they will read it im doubting its emisions code it runs ok and has never threw a code until today does anyone know if there is a sensor on the bumper that i cold have jared when removeing the bumper

Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you can get the code looked at (they may still be open until 9:00) that would help, and also if we knew what year and type of Rover. I've had my brush guard on and off a couple of times working on the AC condenser and drier, don't think there is a lot you could hit. Probably just your turn in the barrel. And a code does not mean something will have to be replaced, it may only need to be cleaned. Also, some codes are triggered by 1 event, and the truck waits 2 or 4 drive cycles to be sure it is still there, then turns on the light. So code may have been started yesterday.

Before buying a $50 reader, consider an Ultra Gauge, which is a combo scanner reader digital display of many gauges that plugs into the same port, $70.

Attached Thumbnails Check engine light after brush guard install  i need helppppppp-ultra-gauge.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-26-2012 at 10:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Toran (02-07-2016)
Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Drifting

lol sorry its a 98 disco lse 4.0 and auto thanks for all the info auto zone closes at 8 here i wish they was still openis it like the old fords were u can fiddle wit the key or unplug te bat to sdo a reset

Old 01-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Drifting

what is a TURN IN BARREL

Old 01-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They most likely are two independent events.

Or you Made The Rover Gods ANGRY. Did you offer praises and sacrifices of meat, drink, and young goddesses over the ceremonial fire?

Did you forget the Rover Gods Please Don't Fail Me Now Chant with loud music and scantily clad dancing native girls. I sense that you did!

You will suffer their wraith until they tire of playing with your mind and emotions my son. Calm Down, Buy aged Whiskey or rum or tequila. Ask yourelf ' "Do I feel Lucky" Take another shot and contemplate happiness.

My local AutoZone is a NO on reading codes Advance Auto will do it, some will allow you to others insist they must. PepBoys want $90 diagnostic fee.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:16 PM
Drifting

Hahahaha

Old 01-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Get your codes read or we can't help you help yourself.
Get back to us with the actual fault code numbers.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your "Turn-In-Barrell" is one of those parts that very few people are aware of. On different vehicles they may not be as obvious as on others. They are usually difficult to diagnose even after you determine their location.

Good Luck with it.

Quick Reply: Check engine light after brush guard install i need helppppppp