Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Crankshaft Pulley oil leak

Old 09-06-2015, 01:12 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Crankshaft Pulley oil leak

I thought I would post about my recent endeavours with my crankshaft pulley or harmonic balancer (which ever you prefer to call it) oil leak.
I own a 97 disco and when changing the oil I noticed some oil seeping down from the pulley and decided to look into it. Honestly, I found heaps of info on guys changing their front seals, using some sort of sealant to deal with it, or info on how to remove the pulley; however, there was limited info on how to remedy this leak (a new seal and a speedi sleeve).

There are a variety of ways to remove the pulley, I have done it 2 ways. The first is to remove the rad and hit it with an impact (I chose this way because I was going to flush the coolant anyways). And the 2nd way which I've done on a buddy's disco is to remove the serpentine and use a strap wrench around the pulley and have a mate remove the bolt with a heavy duty rachet or sissy bar.
Once you remove the pulley you may notice that a ring has developed (as seen in the pics below), this ring is the result of the pulley rubbing against the seal which causes oil to leak through. Replacing the seal often doesn't remedy the leak, or guys will seat the seal in a different place which is just a bandaid on a larger wound IMO. If you've gone so far as to remove the pulley and replace the seal you might as well fix this properly and also install a speedi sleeve. A sleeve increases the diameter of the pulley, and you typically want it to seat where the majority of the wear and tear derives i.e where the seal is rubbing against the pulley.

As you can see in the attached pictures I pounded on a sleeve. I used a 2X4 and a small level to ensure that the sleeve was level. Make sure that if/when you take this route that you take your time and measure every couple taps to make sure the sleeve is being installed evenly. Don't be scared, this is just a time consuming process but pays dividends down the road.
Once the sleeve is installed I greased around the sleeve and the seal and installed everything back. Replacing both the seal and installing a sleeve has completely eliminated my oil leak in that area. I hope this helps anyone undertaking this job.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails Crankshaft Pulley oil leak-img_0803.jpg   Crankshaft Pulley oil leak-img_0804.jpg   Crankshaft Pulley oil leak-img_0805.jpg   Crankshaft Pulley oil leak-img_0806.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Honeyrider:
ihscouts (09-06-2015), Shiftonthefly1 (09-14-2015), TOM R (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

OK so why did you cut down the sleeeve, I have never seen that done, usually sleeve the entire thing

Old 09-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Where'd you get the sleeve from? That's the only thing you didn't elaborate on..... it's worth a Sticky cuz you have pics! Among us who do work on these engines it's well known - the sleeve - but for those who don't you've now made em aware.

And....welcome to the forum!

Old 09-13-2015, 11:32 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Where'd you get the sleeve from? That's the only thing you didn't elaborate on..... it's worth a Sticky cuz you have pics! Among us who do work on these engines it's well known - the sleeve - but for those who don't you've now made em aware.

And....welcome to the forum!

Good point thanks for pointing that out! I got the sleeve from an independent Rover shop in the city who brings them in. Attached is the picture of the box for the sleeve I purchased for my 97 disco.

Attached Thumbnails Crankshaft Pulley oil leak-img_0836.jpg  
Old 09-14-2015, 10:21 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Fancy youtube vid from SKF for greater illustration.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Best soundtrack ever right there.