Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

cruise control problems, need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cruise control problems, need help

so i'm trying to get my disco ready for the cross country trip, but i'm having a problem with the cruise control. to put it simply, it doesn't work, when i press the on/off switch, it doesn't even light up unless i put a ton of pressure on it, do these switches go bad or do i have another problem? what should i check for potential other issues? thanks in advance for the help.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

mainly three parts.

Does your button under the a/c vent work [orange light]
Check your 3 vaccum lines for cracks
Check vacuum pump for operation.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Mudding

the button doesn't work so i'm assuming its bad, and is there any diagram for the vacuum lines? and wheres the pump at? (sorry for the n00b questions, i've only had this thing a few weeks)

Old 10-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cruzin'

As Spence suggested, check the vac lines. From the pump (behind and below the left headlight), from the plenum to the T, through the bulkhead to the two pedal switches (clutch and brake). You (should) find one plunger type switch halfway up the pedal arm, near the pivot point for each of the two pedals. If just one of them is loose in its mount then the system will not work. The cruise function will only work if BOTH of these switches are compressed, as if they are making contact with the pedal arm.

Just because the light in the switch does not work does not mean the system is faulty... you could just have a bad bulb or bad bulb connection. you did say if you press hard the light comes on...

Naturally check the fuse first but if you get the light with excessive pressure then I doubt it is a fuse issue.

Have a great trip! and bring spares...

AND download Rave, print it out and take it with you on the trip. http://www.landroverresource.com/

Last edited by Cosmic88; 10-01-2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: added link
Old 10-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Off topic

As Cosmic says, you don't need a diagram of the vacumm lines. The vacumm lines are very simple to follow.
How did you get by making the wife's the project car? You are a genius. If I had your garage, my wife would be driving the GT.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the deal with the switch. If you have a little common sense you can disassemble them and clean them up well, apply some new dielectric grease, and reassemble them. Find a switch that does light up well and swap the bulbs to check for good ground once you reassemble. I took everyone of my switches apart and did just as I described. They are actually pretty easy to deal with. The only hard part is prying the case apart to disassemble them the first time. I just got to where I snipped one of the clip sides to make it easier to pull them apart and put them back together. Just pay attention to where things go. You can break them down to some very tiny parts. I cleaned all the copper traces with some mild sandpaper and put it all back together with a healthy dose of dielectric grease. As for the lines just follow the advice given. They are right on track. Good luck! If you have any questions about the switches just ask.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That vacumn pump is hidden up by the left headlight and is a bitch to get to. Most likely the vacumn tubing is dried out and cracked/ leaking. Replace it all.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Mudding

Thanks for help, i checked the vacuum lines sure enough, the one comming from by the headlight was broken off the t, havent checked every where else but it looks like i found a major problem, it appears when the po rebuilt the engine, they never hooked up the throttle linkage for the cruse control. anyone got a pic of what goes here or a link to order it?

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
Have a great trip! and bring spares...

AND download Rave, print it out and take it with you on the trip. http://www.landroverresource.com/
thanks, i'm ordering parts and spares as i go so i'm safe on the trip. and thanks for the link, i had downloaded one but that link will be great to bookmark on my iphone.

Originally Posted by leadfoot
How did you get by making the wife's the project car? You are a genius. If I had your garage, my wife would be driving the GT.
wifes car is the project since i bought the car for 875, mechanically the car was great, but interior and paint was a wreck, so it's been a project getting it all proper. also i drive it more then she does (well not since i got the disco) so yea. whats wrong with a gt? its got full eibach suspension, cobra wheels, flowmaster exhaust and no cats, saleen body and a vortech supercharger waiting to go on. so i guess technically its more of a project then the bimmer but still haha.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Project car

I will get a picture of the CC when my daughter gets back home with the LR. (it is just a short adjustable rod that goes there) As for the project car, I was just kiding. All I mean is that my wife takes the best car of the lot, the one that does not need anything to be done to it (contrary to a project car). Of course, that is unless her gas tank is low, then she goes for whatever has the tank full. So you see, the mention of the GT was a compliment.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Mudding

Cool that would be appreciated.
Ah i see. Well there's an easier explanation bout that, my wife can't drive stick and I'm not teaching her on a v8 mustang haha. The bimmer really doesn't need anything now, I'm pretty much done restoring it, just gotta do the headliner and add some low end to the stero. I've literally replaced every panel of the interior by now including the dash so that was the bulk of the project haha.

Quick Reply: cruise control problems, need help