Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

D1: Broke down again in less than a month

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 07:55 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D1: Broke down again in less than a month

'97 Disco, 123K, 4.0 V8i, Automatic

Hey all, haven't been on for awhile since I've been busy with college. Last month I got my Disco running again for the first time in months, and then two nights ago as I was coming up on a stop sign, all the dash lights came on and the engine cut out. I couldn't get it started up again, and I tried an hour later and still nothing. It acts like it wants to try but it sounded very weak.

But before that, I had just been driving it earlier that day to the Thrift store and to Target, and at night again for Applebee's half price apps. I had filled the tank up as well (with 93 Premium, as per usual), and I noticed something wrong then at the gas station--it sounded weak when I turned the key over, but then it would start up just fine. So I had only started and stopped the engine 3 times from then until it broke down.

And when I had worked on it last month, I replaced the CPS with a new one, and also put a new fuel pump in (which was the original issue) and I had it running again, and it sounded good and ran almost fine. There was one slight issue, and that is that the check engine light, which never showed up the whole time it didn't even work right before, then decided to show up. And it was the day right after I fixed it, and something (MAF/TPS?) was acting up because it would always idle high (1000-2000 RPMs) in park, so I normally couldn't leave it in park for very long (if at all, it would shoot up real quick sometimes right as I turned the key). In other gears (except N) it seemed fine, though. So for less than a month I've been driving it every now and again, waiting for this Thanksgiving break which is in a couple days now to actually have time and energy to go work on it, and now it's toast again.

I'm looking for any tips/advice you all might have if you've experienced this or something like it before. My plan now is to get a new MAF and TPS, because they both need replacing I'm sure, but I don't really know if that is my issue and I want to be sure before I put money down for those things if I don't have to and it ends up being something else entirely. But as for today, after work I am going to go and see if I can get it running with cables and will check the MAF again, but as for now that's all I really know to do, and I'll get back if I find anything out about that.

Thanks for reading this and any advice would be so much of a help, you don't even know. =) Have a good Thanksgiving too, if you celebrate. It's already that time of year, somehow.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

When you say "it's sounded weak" meaning it was slow cranking?
Does it crank now? Or nothing at all when you turn the key?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Drifting

It sounded off a bit when I turned it over, like it had to try for a second or so longer than usual before it started up. And when I tried it last night I couldn't get it cranked over, it would try but only for a second before it started clicking.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:04 AM
Pro Wrench

I'm throwing a guess out here of your battery and or alternator. Start by cleaning the terminals and ensuring good tight connections on both ends. If it starts to turn then proceed to clicking most likely the voltage is too low. Start there and work your way up to more complex problems.

Most auto parts stores will test a battery for free. But if it were me I would replace it if there is any doubt. Especially if it's old. Although I have been called paranoid in another thread so...maybe not.

The following users liked this post:
Timbuktu (11-23-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Drifting

I was thinking that too about the battery/alternator but I thought it was weird because the lights still worked and whatnot. But yeah the battery is old and so I might just replace that first off...Thanks for that. And about cleaning the terminals, how exactly would I go about that?

Old 11-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Drifting

And I did find a step-by-step on how to clean so I think I got that now.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Pro Wrench

Lights take far less amps/volts to light than the starter requires to turn. Not uncommon. Hope that's all it is.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:20 AM
Drifting

Gotcha. I will check that out then. Thanks a lot!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before replacing sensors like tps, get a real time obd2 scanner like an ultragauge on there, this will get you some visibility into where everything stands. what are the codes? Also, check your rail fuel pressure especially if you haven't yet replaced the fuel filter. regarding the charging system, check the main ground connection from the battery to the frame. corrosion there can render your battery and alternator ineffective no matter how good they are.

Last edited by ajnolin; 11-23-2014 at 09:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Timbuktu (11-23-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Drifting

I haven't got any codes on it but if I can get it to work enough to get it to the auto store I will. But good point.

Quick Reply: D1: Broke down again in less than a month