Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

D1 or RR classic

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question D1 or RR classic

Hello,
I am looking to buy a Rover as a trail rig only i have my choice between a D1 or a rr classic.

1999 D1 Sputters and hesatates and power steering may be out dont no what codes are running. very clean and only 135,000 miles

1990 RR classic everything works but looks rough in and out 185,000 and claims to have Rock crusher axles.

Based on the background of both Rigs in your opinions what would make the better toy. I can pick up either for less than 1,500.00

Old 01-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd definitely go for the 99 D1. That's the last year for the D1 and the most desirable personally. The D1 is going to be less complicated and more oriented for off-road use with many accessories available.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Either one may do fine. The DI is more current and less miles. A lot depends on your available budget as well.

Go check out the DI in close detail and see if the motor is toast or not.

Take the RR out for a ride and see what it does. Pick the one that best suits you.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:59 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

OK, for the most part, these are the same truck underneath. The main difference between the two is in the axles and diffs. The older Range Rover may only have 10 spline axles and diffs. Depending on how serious you want to go with your offroading, this could definitely be a drawback.

The other difference is that the Range Rover, being the more upscale of the two models offered a Borg Warner transfer case with a viscous coupled center differential whereas the Disco had a manually locking case. If the Range Rover had an achilles heel it would be here. New, the units were flawless and provided more than enough control for 99% of new owners. The problems come in with age and mileage. A Borg Warner is chain driven (versus gear driven in the Disco) so it can suffer from stretching and chain slap. More importunely, the center viscous has a definite lifespan and when is goes, it goes.

To solve this problem with older Borg Warners, many have opted to swap in LT230 transfer cases like those found on all the Disco's. The job is pretty easy and I have probably provided customers with well over 50 conversion kits over the years. I can provide details if you're interested.

In terms of braking, the Range Rover has a much better ABS system, as long as it doesn't suffer from rotting lines due to its age.

In terms of the engine, while the 3.9L may not be a quick or responsive as the GEMS 4.0L, it is a MUCH MORE RELIABLE engine with far greater durability. This is coming from a Rover owner for over 18 years. As far as ease of repair, unlike the DI you can do just about any repair without Testbook or similar computer system. Try that with a DI.

If you're looking for a little extra room and comfort, the Range Rover exceeds the DI in spades. The seats are better by a mile and there's more cargo room in the rear.

As far as off road equipment is concerned, most of what will fit one, will work on the other. Roof racks may not work but hell, you can use an ARB bull bar on either model. They are that much alike underneath.

It really comes down to what truck moves you the most. I've always preferred the Range Rover over the Disco. That's just me. I've owned them new and brought beaters back to life. I think the Range Rover has a superior feel. If you can deal with the Borg Warner and the 10 spline diffs, I'd go with the Range Rover. Upgrading diffs, axles, and the transfer case will cost well under $1k if you can do the work yourself and in the end, I think you'll have the best of both worlds.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Paul I appreciate your input. I have a like for the RR's from thgat era myself. I was glad to see your response. Sounds like a RRc with the LT230 would be the way to go.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the input. one more question, I see the Maf for these things are very costly, how long does one ussaly last and do they respond well to cleaning them. I have D2 and they do not clean up when they go they go but then again there not a 500.00 item.
Ok seriously looking into the Classic. what does it take for me to do the lt230 swap?

Last edited by 05gixxer; 01-31-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

DI

MAF responds well to cleaning which is a 20 minute job (mostly due to drying once sprayed) and the DI will also need a IACV cleaning (another 20 min job).

DI is also easy to repair thanks to the plethora of information from this forum! This forum alone saved my behind numerous times with simple fixes and the input from so many.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:51 AM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh and pick up the 'Torque' app for android with a cheap OBDII Bluetooth scanner as it makes the codes easy to sort out.

Torque app $5 (Google app store)

OBDII Bluetooth module $10 (Amazon)

Old 01-28-2015, 11:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Having owned both I prefer the RRC over the Disco. I agree with the transfercase upgrade. It's on my list to do. I much prefer the braking on my RRC then my Disco's. The truck as a whole is a bit more simple and serviceable. Most switches come apart and can be cleaned. As Paul said the EFI is very basic. I really like my RRC a lot more than amy other truck I've owned.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

D1 hands down. You said its for off-roading right? As state above, the rrc has weaker axles and t-case. Not sure if that year rrc has diff lock like the D1's have. Makes a big difference off-roading with diff lock.

Then again partial to D1's. Love mine. Once you eliminate the shyt weak points, they're are very awesome an capable rigs.

Quick Reply: D1 or RR classic