Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

D2 wiper motor on a D1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 04:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

That's a cooked brush pigtail, a bushing is round and commonly used as a spacer or bearing......

Yes, it's roasted. Now, finding a replacement brush is next order of business....... Any numbers/letters on the brush housing?

Old 02-13-2016, 05:04 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brush is what I wanted to say. Umm, no. Nothing. Could it potentially still carry current? I found another brush that when I looked closely, it was contacting... So I added some ether to it, and it moves now. I assume the grease hardened up on me. Now I freed it. Could that have been a problem? Is there a way for me to test the motor without pulling the hood, face plate, and attaching it to the plug?

Old 02-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Camel Trophy

On the wipe motor plug there should be five pins. Pin 1 is ground, pin 3 is high and pin 5 is low. Try 12V direct to pin 1 (ground pin (-)) and pins 3 or 5 (+) on the connector to see if it spins.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ihscouts
On the wipe motor plug there should be five pins. Pin 1 is ground, pin 3 is high and pin 5 is low. Try 12V direct to pin 1 (ground pin (-)) and pins 3 or 5 (+) on the connector to see if it spins.
When looking into the plug, 2 on top, 3 on bottom, I connected ground to the bottom left pin, of the 3, and positive to the top middle. It spun, not very fast. Not fast as all. I could feel it bouncing from the magnet internals. The cables I used to hook to the battery got quite hot though, and the sparked whenever I connected them.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:04 PM
Camel Trophy

That's what relays are for, take the spark out of your hands......

The pin numbers should be on or very close to the pins on the connectors. What year do you have, should put it in your signature so folks don't have to guess. I'm using the 96's ETM on your problem.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:06 PM
Drifting

That's what relays are for, take the spark out of your hands......

The pin numbers should be on or very close to the pins on the connectors. What year do you have, should put it in your signature so folks don't have to guess. I'm using the 96's ETM on your problem.
My bad. It is a 96. Should it be running smooth? Or how fast? There also aren't numbers stamped or printed.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:16 PM
Camel Trophy

No problemo, we'll improvise. I believe the two pin connector is the one swipe relay and the three pin is the motor voltage and speed. The one brush that's super short is the problem child, it's causing high amperage, probably the motor's commutator ground. One pin of the three is that (ground) and the other two are motor winding speeds.

By the way, I'm doing my best to type with one eye, detached retina, it's covered with a patch AND I have one shift key flaking out on my keyboard so I'm having to type caps with one shift key..... fun game.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:35 PM
Drifting

No problemo, we'll improvise. I believe the two pin connector is the one swipe relay and the three pin is the motor voltage and speed. The one brush that's super short is the problem child, it's causing high amperage, probably the motor's commutator ground. One pin of the three is that (ground) and the other two are motor winding speeds.

By the way, I'm doing my best to type with one eye, detached retina, it's covered with a patch AND I have one shift key flaking out on my keyboard so I'm having to type caps with one shift key..... fun game.
No worries dude, you're way better than I am! I just went out and tried all combinations to the motor... Pin 1 on the set of 3, has a black wire lead, connected to the negative, and pin 2 on the set of 2, has a red lead, connected to positive is the only way I an get any movement out if the motor... The refurbished one I bought to replace it doesn't move at all. Bastards. I'm returning it tomorrow.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:40 PM
Camel Trophy

LOL! Figures........ Which one did you snag? I'd ****** one of the brushes off the replacement or vice-versa to make one good forever lasting POS.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:43 PM
Drifting

LOL! Figures........ Which one did you snag? I'd ****** one of the brushes off the replacement or vice-versa to make one good forever lasting POS.
Yea, right? I'll try to snag one off the "new" one. Maybe things will change up a bit! Thanks man! I really don't need all the speed functions to work, I just want some sort of movement from the wipers.

Quick Reply: D2 wiper motor on a D1?