Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Dash lights/rear wiper not working, fuse blowing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 01:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Rear windows could be the "Rear Isolation Switch" (has the orange symbol on it on the window switch panel) which the wiring would be in your new rats nest. I see one wire had it's insulation sucked off by the little critter.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Rear windows could be the "Rear Isolation Switch" (has the orange symbol on it on the window switch panel) which the wiring would be in your new rats nest. I see one wire had it's insulation sucked off by the little critter.
That's what I was thinking but I've fixed all the wiring under there now. Must be one more spot the little bastard has chewed.

He chewed one wire in half and stripped several others. I don't really care about the rear wiper but I want the rear windows working.

Edit: Oh and thanks a bunch for all your help, Head Gasket and this issue.

The following users liked this post:
ihscouts (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Camel Trophy

No problem, enjoy keeping these things going. I picked up a 94 Saturn SC2 for $50 with a busted timing chain, the head the way I spec'd it out is gonna cost me $450+. I just found an 03 DII with @120k needing head gaskets - $500 for it and it's in great physical shape! Even if I need to top hat the block it's still a great deal!

Old 09-27-2015, 04:37 PM
Mudding

No problem, enjoy keeping these things going. I picked up a 94 Saturn SC2 for $50 with a busted timing chain, the head the way I spec'd it out is gonna cost me $450+. I just found an 03 DII with @120k needing head gaskets - $500 for it and it's in great physical shape! Even if I need to top hat the block it's still a great deal!
that's some damn good deals!

I just checked the voltage to the rear window switch(s) and it doesn't appear I'm getting voltage. I hear a click coming from the passenger side kick panel when I use the front windows so I'm assuming there is the controller there. I guess I'll look for damage there. Right now I think if I can just get them up I'll be happy.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Mudding

OK more news, the rear windows started working for some reason. I must have tugged on the right wire or something. Anyway I decided to start it and move it because I've been blocking the wife's spot in the garage. While I was moving it the rear windows didn't work but after I stopped in it's outdoor parking spot they started working again........strange!

I've pretty much got this thing running again to off road so I guess I'm going to start putting it back together and have a little fun, nothing extreme just want to get back into the woods.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:06 PM
Camel Trophy

Yep, up is a good thing. The window lift ECU is behind the glove box, left of the ABS ECU.

The following users liked this post:
green-lantern (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Mudding

Yep, up is a good thing. The window lift ECU is behind the glove box, left of the ABS ECU.
Thanks again, yeah after I got my ear down there I realized it wasn't in the kick panel. I'm thinking around it is my problem though because after I started digging around there my rear windows started working.

I finished replacing all the stereo speakers and it still cuts out when I turn it up but the douche bag that installed the stereo used those stupid crimp/tap things. I'm going to re-wire that crap and it should be good after that.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:23 PM
Camel Trophy

I ended up soldering all the wires for the aftermarket radio I installed. Shrink tube'd and not a problem in seven years. The radio will crap way before the wiring does.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Mudding

I ended up soldering all the wires for the aftermarket radio I installed. Shrink tube'd and not a problem in seven years. The radio will crap way before the wiring does.
yeah that's the plan, at least re-wire the main power wire and the ground. I might even run the main power wire directly to the battery (with fuse).

Old 09-28-2015, 06:04 PM
Mudding

Well had time to re-wire the stereo today and it works fine now. Rear windows not working today so I'm pretty sure there has to be damaged wires behind the dash. Just in a spot I'm not seeing.

Last edited by green-lantern; 09-28-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Dash lights/rear wiper not working, fuse blowing