Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco has no spark

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 10:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I guess I should have asked, did you check the fuses ? there's at least one related to the ignition.........

Old 02-28-2017, 08:34 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the help. I'm not sure about the amplifier. I'm out of town working but will be checking it out on Saturday. The fuses are all good. Seems like every time I let it sit for a day or two it starts for a few seconds and dies. No restarting it. I noticed on the AB website that there is no amplifier for the '94. Does this mean I have to modify it to replace it?

Old 02-28-2017, 11:22 PM
Pro Wrench

yes the 94 has an amplifier....same part for 94-95 discos......

Old 03-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Drifting

I should have stated they didn't offer one for sale. I checked it this evening and the amplifier is mounted by the coil. I will be reomving it and cleaning the contacts. Will also be looking for one to buy. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:38 AM
Drifting

Ordered a spark amplifier. Haven't received it yet. Hope that this fixes it. Will post again when I get the amplifier installed. Thanks for all the help

Old 03-22-2017, 05:46 AM
Drifting

Ok, I'm really baffled by this now. I put in a new spark amplifier and installed a new coil. I still get no spark. I checked every fuse inside and out and all are good. I get voltage to the coil and the fuel pump comes on. Tried the RAVE but still haven't got this figured out. Any suggestions ? Would really like to get back to driving it instead of looking at it. Thank you.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:11 PM
Pro Wrench

if you are certain all your connections are good,and you have battery voltage at the coil, with a new amp module and coil....try a spark tester hooked to the coil lead wire that goes to the dist cap.....if there's good spark that will jump a gap there then the problem is likely in the cap or rotor....also the pickup coil in the distibutor may be at some fault here since it provides the initial signal to the amplifier module....it needs to be gapped properly

just to help your train of thought along..>>> as the engine cranks the pickup coil in the dist produces a signal that is sent to the amplifier module and then to the coil ....and along with 12 battery volts ,the coil produces a very high voltage that is sent back to the distributor's center post...and "distributed" to each plug wire by the rotor and cap

Old 03-23-2017, 05:43 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the help. I will check it when I get home. I didn't think about the pickup coil.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:05 PM
Drifting

I checked all the fuses and they are good. Used an Ohm meter. Still no spark. Have a new cap and rotor. Will check the gap on the pickup coil next or buy a new one. Thanks for the help. Will post more when I get a chance to work on it.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I'd buy a new one, might as well have an entirely new spark system. Then, when you get that on we can figure out why there's still no spark.

Quick Reply: Disco has no spark