Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery is a bouncy, tippy, rocking ride?

Old 08-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Winching
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the replies

Would the orange poly bushings at Rovers North be a good brand (unless I missed it, they don't mention the brand)?

I also found a kit from D.A.P. Enterprises which states that they are "stock replacement rubber"

Just want to get as much info as possible before taking the plunge

Again, thank you all for your time and input, and as always it is appreciated

Old 08-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
AFAIK all the poly bushings are more firm than stock, so I went with the blue(soft). Orange(medium) is between blue and red(firm). Also figured I'd preserve articulation by going with blue. Most guys go with orange though.

I hear the quality of genuine bushing used to be better, that's why guys go for the poly bushings now.
This! I had bad luck with OEM rubber bushings. The Orange have held up great for me.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

OK first trip to VA with rover and the sway is baaaad I would not want the wife driving this at hwy speeds so where is the best price on the poly bush orange kit? Want to get done before winter

Old 09-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know EXACTLY the sensation that you guys are talking about. My Disco was very "tippy" and had an unstable sensation especially at higher speeds and hard braking.

Here is what I have done so far in order...

New Springs / New Shocks
New (used-salvaged) Steering Box
New Upper Sway Bar Bushings
New RED Polybush kit
New Steering Damper
New steering rods

The ride would improve slightly after each project but the biggest leap in improvement came after I installed the bushings. It drives and handles almost like a new truck. The tippyness is all but gone, but I am still chasing down some slight high speed steering and braking instability.

Don't let the RED bushings scare on ride comfort. I am running them with TF HD springs and OME HD shocks. The ride on the street is not all that harsh. If you have ever driven a newer F250 with an empty bed, the ride is similar to that. Dirt roads and wheeling may be a different story.

The ride is much, much better but the ride is still a bit unstable. My next project will be swivel pins and probably the rear ball joint.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Winching
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by DiscoBlanco
I know EXACTLY the sensation that you guys are talking about. My Disco was very "tippy" and had an unstable sensation especially at higher speeds and hard braking.

Here is what I have done so far in order...

New Springs / New Shocks
New (used-salvaged) Steering Box
New Upper Sway Bar Bushings
New RED Polybush kit
New Steering Damper
New steering rods

The ride would improve slightly after each project but the biggest leap in improvement came after I installed the bushings. It drives and handles almost like a new truck. The tippyness is all but gone, but I am still chasing down some slight high speed steering and braking instability.

Don't let the RED bushings scare on ride comfort. I am running them with TF HD springs and OME HD shocks. The ride on the street is not all that harsh. If you have ever driven a newer F250 with an empty bed, the ride is similar to that. Dirt roads and wheeling may be a different story.

The ride is much, much better but the ride is still a bit unstable. My next project will be swivel pins and probably the rear ball joint.
Thanks for the heads up

My shocks and springs were upgraded within the last year (OME 2" Medium lift kit), but I should have realized that I should have done the bushings at the same time

I think I will go the Orange bushing kit from Rovers north as they seem to have the best price

Old 09-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

So you're saying red rides like an unloaded 3/4 ton ford? last one I drove rode like a brick and jarred my spine

Old 09-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run oranges on the axle end of my trailing arms. I have oranges for the frame end of the radius arms and will be ordering some slotted orange axle end radius arm bushings. Only thing left after that would be A-arm and panhard and I'm not paying for polys for the panhard (has a brand new stock bushing and heim on the frame end). Truck rides smooth and straight at 70mph with 3" springs, 33s, and no sways but I'm pretty sure the radius arm bushings are shot. I have intermittent vibes and the front makes clanging noises on bumps. Going to modify some arms to clock the pinion back 6*. If the vibe is still there after the pinion angle is corrected and the whole front end has new bushings I'm just gonna give up and deal with it!

Last edited by CUpgt; 09-08-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

I always use energy brand but seems they are crazy expensive for rover they offer different colors not stiffness, guess I can give the orange set of polys a shot since I need to do something bout this swaying

On a side note was checking out front end and found the bolts on the steering box brace at the pitman arm were loose each took 1+ turn I could see marks in the dirt/grease where they had been moving slightly

Old 09-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

When I moved from stock size tires to 245/75/16 10 ply on my D2, I had the same feeling. My wife tried to drive it once like this and was scared to death. I put 30mm BORA brand wheel spacers on that are hub centric, and now I have a normal ride again.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 09-08-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

I am still stock tires so I can imagine it would only get worse, bushings are probly beat ans worn in to the sagged springs that were on for 145 k miles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Discovery is a bouncy, tippy, rocking ride?