Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery I Starter Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 01:44 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I found one minor but critical item missing from the LandRover manual; at least for my 1997 4.0 US Disco:

remove the knock sensor.

That's the blue thing with a connector going to attached to the engine block. It is directly in the way of the long socket extension you'll need.
Common sense, and hind sight is 20/20 but since I didn't see it in the manual I figured I was doing something wrong, and tried to make it work without taking it off for a long time.

Just take it off with a pipe wrench from underneath the vehicle. It's easy.
I just pulled on the plug with the same pipe wrench. If there's a more elegant way I'd like to hear it.
Oh and I'd advise not to use a socket, you might end up destroying the knock sensor by tearing the can away from the body, like I did.

The top bolt was on with a evil amount of torque for me. With all of the "wind up" in the 3/8 extension I had cranked my cheater bar and wrench a good 90 degrees when it broke loose. I turned from underneath the car, just back from the radiator to get this much range of motion. Big pop, and it actually broke the Craftsman wrench. (going back when I go by Sears) I'm guessing it was the fast unwind that jarred it, now it only loosens, can't be switched to tighten.

Anyway, it starts again and I'm a happy guy!

Old 12-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

I just replaced the starter on my new to me D1. I pull the heat shield completely off and access the upper bolt from the top on the engine reaching down.