Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine oil leak (valley gasket?) HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still feel very strongly that the best course of action is to first verify the tightness of the bolts that are supposed to secure the valve covers in place. It is one of the most common and often most mis-analyzed problem with our Discoveries. Shouldn't new owners be made aware of this phenomena?

Had I done that first, I would have had more spending money available and less parts sitting on the shelf waiting "for when I need them".

IHS: No one questioned or challenged your abilities of explanation. However, a young woman new owner may not have understood anything regarding "Positive Cranckcase Ventilation". My additional contribution of information was to help her and any other new owners have a more complete understanding of the vehicles that we all share.

Her problem could consist of multiple causes and contributors. Given the correct information may just enable her to gain more confidence and use her abilities to check on her Discovery or at least have someone else help her other than the "LR incompetent Mechanic" that she previously saw.

Did I do something that offended you? (There is a cute young lady playing a ukelele that can provide an entertaining continuation of this discussion if you click on the link below.)

Was it wrong to offer additional information?

I do not understand what you are saying.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 04-28-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Kiss.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Get a room guys!!. lol

I'm afraid this thread is dead, the OP has posted once and then disappeared.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not dead although nearly killed in car accident 2 years ago. We did find lose bolts and mechanic needs to find tool to tighten one. Seems to help. I wanted to wait to let you all know what happened. My mechanic is slow in helping me, last on his list due to unfamiliar with Land Rovers. He is impressed with forum and has helped. Will send new message hopefully in a couple of weeks. I read these but if I don't understand he does. Very happy with detailed information. Thanks very much! Klandrover

Old 04-29-2012, 01:54 PM

The socket you need for the valve covers is a 12 point 8 millimeter (m/m)
deep socket in either a 1/4 inch drive or a 3/8 inch drive. The 1/4 inch drive is a smaller barrel and is easier to get down over the bolt head squarely. These are sometimes harder to find.

Many manufacturers make it in a 3/8 inch drive which is a lot fatter but have the front of the socket "necked down" to a smaller diameter. With a little finesse, this will fit at least seven of the eight bolts.

There are four bolts on each valve cover, two along the bottom and two along the top. They are where the little curved areas are in the valve cover.

A standard bolt head is only six points, these are 12. You want the deep socket so you can reach down to where the bolt heads sit. If you look at the lower edge of the valve covers, near where the oil cap is located, you will see one there.

Some people say the lowers ones are most important, but since mine was leaking and puddling identical to yours, I made sure I got all of them snugged down.

By snugged down, I mean tight but not overtightened. Just seated and a slight touch more. If a gorilla tightens them as tight as he can get them, expect bad things to happen. Just snug them and you should learn how yourself as these can tend to vibrate loose and shopuld be checked/snugged every oil change or if you see any more oil puddling up there in the front on top of your water pump.

I was on the verge of tearing my engine apart to replace valley pan gasket when I discovered all I really needed to do was tighten 8 bolts. That is precisely why I was so adamant about that fact to you. It is not an opinion, just sharing some of my own personal experiences from owning and maintaining my 97 SE Discovery One.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered the 8mm thru Sears yesterday, should get this week sometime. I touched the bolt on the drivers side and oil was on my finger. I think tightening those down with be a great help if not the fix. Crossing fingers. Thanks gentlemen! (They wanted $1400 to do valley pan gasket when quoted and said it could need much more.) Klandrover

Old 04-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1400 to do a valley pan? holy crap. Do it yourself. it's not that hard. Will take you half a saturday and cost you 30 bucks.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 AM

We could have a meeting of the Redneck Rover Owners Club at your place and fix the Rover together with lots of good meat on the fire and plenty of fine liquor cheaper than that.

It may take an entire weekend though, but we could have a fine time with lots of distinguished people.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 AM

When they heard Land Rover, visions of sugar plums danced in their heads..........

They were already going thru the Cabella's Hunting and Fishing Spring Special Catalogs picking out their new depthfinders and shotguns. Those mechanics, when they say it could cost a lot more, they really mean it too. They may need a new set of waders and not the cheap ones, along with a new floating ice chest to keep the beer cold.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
The socket you need for the valve covers is a 12 point 8 millimeter (m/m)
deep socket in either a 1/4 inch drive or a 3/8 inch drive. The 1/4 inch drive is a smaller barrel and is easier to get down over the bolt head squarely. These are sometimes harder to find.
The set of sockets I have only goes down to 9mm in the 12 point. Checked everywhere I could think of: Sears, HD, HF, Lowes, Menards, pepboys, autozone. I couldnt find an 8mm 12 pt that wasnt part of a larger set (which I dont need since I have quite a bit >8mm).

Figure 8mm is a smidge less than 1/3", so I tried the 5/16" 12 pt I have. Fit pretty well. Figured they only have to tighten to 9Nm anyway so I gave it a shot.

Seemed to work just fine with no rounding that I can tell.

Quick Reply: Engine oil leak (valley gasket?) HELP