Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine oil leak (valley gasket?) HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

FYI, if it's 1/4" drive and you have a 3 or 4" extension a shallow socket will work.
$13 from Snap-on

Last edited by antichrist; 04-30-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just use an 8mm combination wrench. Reaches all 8 bolts.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
I just use an 8mm combination wrench. Reaches all 8 bolts.

How do you manage to get the the ones on the top?

I guess a shallow socket on an extension would also do fine like Tom pointed out.

I am noticing a few droplets of coolant on the top of my waterpump, it looks like the wp gasket is seeping a wee little bit.

May be the water pump/oil pump/fan clutch may be the next things on the list.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 05-01-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:25 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
How do you manage to get the the ones on the top?
I just reach my hand in with the wrench and tighten them. As a mechanic, I'm used to getting my hand in tight spots(I know, I know...I should have worded that better).

Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Praticed on a lot of wallets I see.

Prying money out of tight a$$es.

I hate the layouts of so much of this stuff.

Tonight I strolled around the American Legion parking lot. They had one of their spring/summer weekly Cruises. There was everything from a 35 Ford 5 window coupe with a small block Chevy in it, some incredible 55 & 56 Chevy's with a full range of custom motors, a 1966 Dodge Monaco with a 440 Six Pack automatic on the column with bench seats, a 1953 Vette, 1966 Silver Sting Ray 427/425 HP and that was just a few that stood out.

Them old farts got some hot rods!

Old 05-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like on the drive side someone just shoved the hose right into the value cover is that correct or should there a fitting the hose goes onto. He can't get to the bolt that sits closest to the cab because the throttle linkage is in the way. Can you use a flex to get at it. He says he can't even see the damn thing. He says the oil would not leak from there anyway to pool in the front. He is totally full of it? Front bolts were ok the outer passenger rear was loose ( a turn and 1/2 ). It took him ten minutes and did not think he wanted to do more. He swore alot because he does not know the car and said he wanted to line up engineers and shoot them all. Just letting you know his personality..... Thanks, Klandrover

Old 05-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by klandrover
It looks like on the drive side someone just shoved the hose right into the value cover is that correct or should there a fitting the hose goes onto. He can't get to the bolt that sits closest to the cab because the throttle linkage is in the way. Can you use a flex to get at it. He says he can't even see the damn thing. He says the oil would not leak from there anyway to pool in the front. He is totally full of it? Front bolts were ok the outer passenger rear was loose ( a turn and 1/2 ). It took him ten minutes and did not think he wanted to do more. He swore alot because he does not know the car and said he wanted to line up engineers and shoot them all. Just letting you know his personality..... Thanks, Klandrover

How bad is the leak now? To be totally honest, as long as you are not dumping a quart of oil every 1500k miles it is not the end of the world. I might lose a quart in between every 3k scheduled oil change after tightening my valve cover and my leak looks exactly like yours.

My hose just has the the hose clamp at the top on the intake and not on the valve cover. I just replaced mine recently due to age. If the leak was coming from there it would be many other places other than just the pooling you have at the front right above the water pump. And I'd be down right shocked to see anything coming out of there at all.

I would seriously consider reaching out to someone who has experience with working on your Discovery and may be a bit more enthusiastic about it. These are fantastic trucks to work on and not at all as complicated as your mechanic may be making it out to be. It's not all that more complicated than a tractor to be honest.

There are plenty of people here on the forum who I'm sure would be more than happy to take a look if they are in your area or help you find a reputable Rover tech.

1400 to do the valley gasket is just insanity. For 1400 you are paying for about half the trucks worth. The part is 35 bucks and would take a half decent, drunk, calm, Rover enthusiast a day tops and they could diagnose any other leak while they are at it.

Best of luck. Remember its not the end of the world if she leaks a little. It's almost expected

Old 05-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Mudding

oh and if he really wants to get the hose off all he really needs to do is pull. The male connection at that point is not flanged. The hose just slides on and off. The clamp is really only there to seal the gap. Hell he could just cut it.

It's not rocket science.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Three Wheeling

He was the mechanic that told me about this disco. I think he took his percentage of the sale and doesn't want to deal with it anymore. I was Very slow in figuring this out. I think the disco is basically sound. I am not worried about the leak anymore but will need to fix some things in the future. If anyone can recommend a decent mechanic in the Milwaukee Wisconsin area I would appreciate it. I tried to do a search of this forum for wisconsin but found nothing but could be doing it wrong. Thanks for your help and humor. I will continue reading and hopefully will become a self sufficient rover owner and can advise also. I am a dreamer. Klandrover

Old 05-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Car Talk, find the "Mechanix Files" link, enter your zip code.

Quick Reply: Engine oil leak (valley gasket?) HELP