Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Expansion tank swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 08:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts
Default Expansion tank swap

I'd like to tackle this today while the weather is cooperating. One I unscrew the tank and unclamp/remove the two hoses to the tank, what next? Drop the new one in and re attach the two hoses? My question is the fluid. Once it drains out when I remove the hoses, and the new dry tank is put in, what amount goes back in the radiator? Recommended antidfreeze? I don't refill the tank correct. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

5. Pour correct solution of water and anti-freeze
into expansion tank until radiator is full.
6. Start engine, run it until normal operating
temperature is attained, topping up as
necessary.
7. Refit radiator filler plug and ’O’ ring, with new ’O’
ring if required. Tighten to 6 Nm.
8. Fit expansion tank filler cap.
9. Allow engine to cool, check coolant level. Finally
top up expansion tank until level reaches seam
of expansion tank.
From your D1 manual.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:09 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

" My question is the fluid. Once it drains out when I remove the hoses..."

Make your life easier and make almost ZERO mess with the coolant drain...get a hose clamp set from any Autozone, NAPA, HF like these > 4 Piece Fluid Line Clamp Set or like >> 3 Piece Line Clamp Set

Clamp the hoses, then use a cheap-o siphon pump like this> Siphon Pump - Save on this Fluid Siphon Pump and drain the tank. Remove the hoses and replace the tank.

Refill the new tank/hoses, remove the hose line clamps and check the level in the tank. There will be zero coolant loss from the radiator and no air in the system. To be sure> Run the truck to normal op temp, let it sit until cool and check the level in the tank again. Add coolant as needed (you probably won't need to). Have at it!

Old 01-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by OverRover
" My question is the fluid. Once it drains out when I remove the hoses..."

Make your life easier and make almost ZERO mess with the coolant drain...get a hose clamp set from any Autozone, NAPA, HF like these > 4 Piece Fluid Line Clamp Set or like >> 3 Piece Line Clamp Set

Clamp the hoses, then use a cheap-o siphon pump like this> Siphon Pump - Save on this Fluid Siphon Pump and drain the tank. Remove the hoses and replace the tank.

Refill the new tank/hoses, remove the hose line clamps and check the level in the tank. There will be zero coolant loss from the radiator and no air in the system. To be sure> Run the truck to normal op temp, let it sit until cool and check the level in the tank again. Add coolant as needed (you probably won't need to). Have at it!
Thank you for the tips. What coolant can i buy at local auto parts store. Any type work as long as its green and 50/50?

Last edited by stillruns; 01-15-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:28 PM
TReK

Prestone 50/50 will work. Just a thought, it's cheaper to buy the full concentrated coolant and mix it with distilled water. You are not going to need much coolant to do this repair especially if you use the hose pinch clamps.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:26 PM
Pro Wrench

Prestone 50/50 will work. Just a thought, it's cheaper to buy the full concentrated coolant and mix it with distilled water. You are not going to need much coolant to do this repair especially if you use the hose pinch clamps.
10-4. Headed to Advanced now. Will report afterwards.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:33 PM
Pro Wrench

Success! New tank in. Levels appear good. Thanks again. Next up, thermostat. I have it and a new seal in hand. AB has a video on this job and it appears pretty straightforward. Remove two bolts, remove old t stat, insert new one at 12:00. Re attach housing. I am guessing that when you remove the hose that goes to the t stat housing, fluid will come out. Is this a more in depth job regarding the radiator?

Old 01-15-2017, 04:59 PM
TReK

Thermostat is real simple.

Instead of removing the lower rad hose to drain the coolant use the siphon pump you just bought(you did get one right?). This time put the siphon tube into the radiator fill plug and remove approx. 1 gallon of coolant. No mess!
Then remove the upper rad hose @ the thermostat housing. If you are going to replace the upper hose (and you should ) then just remove it from both ends.
NEXT just remove the 2 housing bolts and remove the thermostat. Clean off all the old gasket and put it all back together. Fill and bleed the air....Done.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:00 PM
Pro Wrench

Thermostat is real simple.

Instead of removing the lower rad hose to drain the coolant use the siphon pump you just bought(you did get one right?). This time put the siphon tube into the radiator fill plug and remove approx. 1 gallon of coolant. No mess!
Then remove the upper rad hose @ the thermostat housing. If you are going to replace the upper hose (and you should ) then just remove it from both ends.
NEXT just remove the 2 housing bolts and remove the thermostat. Clean off all the old gasket and put it all back together. Fill and bleed the air....Done.
10-4. The upper rad hose is fairly new and doesn't appear to have any signs of fatigue. So..
1. Siphon 1 gallon of coolant out
2. Remove end of upper rad hose attached to housing
3. Remove 2 bolts + housing
4. Remove old tstat, clean area, insert new
5. Re attach hose
6. Fill rad with 1 gallon of coolant
7. Fill and bleed air

Old 01-15-2017, 06:11 PM
TReK

That's it. I know once you do this repair with the siphon you won't believe how little to no coolant mess is made.

1 more thought: If you want more access to the therm housing (once the hose is removed from that end) just loosen the upper rad hose clamp @ the radiator and twist the hose up. Really not needed but it can help. I'm out of "good ideas" Good on ya!