Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Front and Rear Coil Spring Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by raeuspius
and tweak the control / track arm bushings? I thought so but didnt want to hurt them. would you suggest loosing them or just jack for space? that makes total sense now. I inspected the bushings on the betwixt the body and the track arm and they are supple and not dry or cracked
If you hurt any of the bushings doing that they were either already bad or you went way overboard. I've dropped my 3" front spring 4" out of the perch and never lost a bushing. The sway bar does hit the drive shaft and if you have stock brake lines they will rip but you won't hurt the bushings.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buddy Lee
If you hurt any of the bushings doing that they were either already bad or you went way overboard. I've dropped my 3" front spring 4" out of the perch and never lost a bushing. The sway bar does hit the drive shaft and if you have stock brake lines they will rip but you won't hurt the bushings.
makes alot of sence and I see the component relationships. i was on a time frame so i did what i thought was going to get me there. so another day and 3" lift blocks.

Only other thought I have is the extension of the front prop shaft and how much is in there until hyper-extension occurs. I am sure anything over 2.5 is suggested other geometric mods but I hear and read that 3" is max before offset bushings and things are needed.moving back sway bar perch and some other stuff that will relax the angle of front prop shaft. I just may drill out new holes in the frame for trans / xfer case mounts for that purpose as I think there is more in the rear prop shaft to extend.

Have to say at this juncture that I am happy with the way the truck stands and articulation is not a concern as I am not off road yet. I am interested but without true and experienced data, I am just happy I can go over a speed bump with out cringing over my oil pan or upper sump dumping all my oil..... whoooo.

Last edited by raeuspius; 10-22-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:19 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How much lift are you going for? At 2" with +2" shocks my front drive shaft would hit the sway bar during articulation. I made some spacer blocks out of 2x2" square tube. You really need to just move it down and maybe back just a smidge.

I ran the stock drive shafts for 4-5 years with a 3" lift and other than making sure I'd replace the U-Joints every few years I never had an issue with it. You might need to shim the rear links to drop the pinion back down if you get vibes on the rear.

Right now i'm at about 3-4" of lift and I'm running a DII front and stock rear drive shaft. I'm getting some vibes on the road at neutral throttle, so I think I I've exceeded the usable range of the stock rear drive shaft and need to start planning for an upgraded one.

Every truck is different so your results may be different. The truck will wander a little with a 3" lift but depending on how picky you are you might be able to live with it.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 10-22-2014, 10:36 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The rears equal out to an old man emu 751 hd front spring. A pretty popular thing to do is take the rear stock springs and put them upfront and order yourself a set of old man emu hd rear springs (762's) and boom! A 2" lift for half the price! Then you just need shocks, that's another story for another thread...

Old 10-24-2014, 08:08 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buddy Lee
How much lift are you going for? At 2" with +2" shocks my front drive shaft would hit the sway bar during articulation. I made some spacer blocks out of 2x2" square tube. You really need to just move it down and maybe back just a smidge.

I ran the stock drive shafts for 4-5 years with a 3" lift and other than making sure I'd replace the U-Joints every few years I never had an issue with it. You might need to shim the rear links to drop the pinion back down if you get vibes on the rear.

Right now i'm at about 3-4" of lift and I'm running a DII front and stock rear drive shaft. I'm getting some vibes on the road at neutral throttle, so I think I I've exceeded the usable range of the stock rear drive shaft and need to start planning for an upgraded one.

Every truck is different so your results may be different. The truck will wander a little with a 3" lift but depending on how picky you are you might be able to live with it.
I have gained total of 4" above the front diff just with the rear springs in front. The main concern initially was to get more clearance between diff and benz oil pan and that has been satisfied. I didn't get around to the rear yet however I do have deficit of 2" in the rear. I have fabricated both 3" and 2" @.20 square tube that will go in the rear and I certainly will shim the links in the rear. The results so far is a firmer ride and soft impact over speed bumps. Removing the spunginess in the front is certainly going to save my tires in front. All in all the ride is awesome.

I have had the truck up to 85 on the highway a day after front was done and absolutely no driveline vibrations or anything so far.